Bacon

Started by Piker, December 28, 2009, 11:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

Here is some bacon I cured and then smoked. Turned out pretty good. I had a problem with temp control on my OBS so I guess I will have get a P.I.D> set up. I hope I can get the parts here in Canada as I am getting a little gunshy about ordering parts from the U.S. If I can find someone who does not ship by U.P.S. I might be tempted to try. The problem is shipping in the states is very reasonable but once it gets to the border things go crazy. The last supplies I brought were $45.00 and I paid $135.00 before I got them in my house. Piker

FLBentRider

Looks great Piker.

Once you do your own bacon that store bought stuff doesn't measure up.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

That bacon looks great Piker!

Auber shipped my PID here in the US using the postal service. Might be worth sending them an email to check on shipping costs for you.
HawkeyeSmokes

Piker

Thanks Hawkeyes I have their website in my bookmarks so I will talk to them Piker

_Bear_

Hey Piker, I feel your pain about UPS. I deal with several US companys for racecar stuff and I will not deal with UPS either. I have found USPS to be the best and cheapest service to get pats back and forth across the border. By the way, GREAT looking bacon
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

Piker

thanks for the replies. One question Aueberins has a bradley smoker controller on their website and is really as easy to use as plug in and play? as I have mentioned before I am NOT very handy. It seems you plug the OBS into the controller and then into a 110v outlet with the probe inside the smoker. I think I can handle that. Piker

HawkeyeSmokes

Piker, it really is a plug and play unit. Very easy to set up and use. It comes with a CD that has good directions on it also.
HawkeyeSmokes

Piker

Good I am waiting for a reply if they will send it USPS. Should have an answer tommorrow. Thks Piker

CK

Hi Piker,
That bacon sure looks good. 
Much like your self I too will not order stuff from the States if it's shiped by UPS. Been burned by them in the past.
I live in B.C. Can. and my PID arived in the mail about 2 weeks ago.

The PID is pre programed for Salmon, So Salmon it is.

This PID deal looks like a sure thing, will try it on a porl loin next week.

manxman

Hi Piker,

I bought an Auber PID direct from the US and they charged me $27 to ship it across the pond to the UK which I thought was very reasonable. Auber were very helpful in answering my questions prior to ordering and the product itself lived up to all expectations.  :)

I would thoroughly recommend both the plug and play PID and the company themselves.
Manxman

oakville smoker

Nice lookin bacon there Piker
I have 20 pounds in the fridge curing away
Once you make your own, its criminal to eat the crap they sell in the store
No comparison
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Piker

Oakville Smoker you are right. My first batch was a little to salty but this batch turned out just right. I use just the basic cure but I think next time I will use some maple flavouring. Piker

_Bear_

Let me know how you make out with that PID, I think I could use one for my digital 6 rack as well
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"