pens spicy snack sticks

Started by 4blade, December 29, 2009, 07:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4blade

greg tried your recipe first time and my venison sticks were very dry,not nice consistent color and texture like most are posting here.7lbs venison 3lbs pork ,mix and temps according to recipe and gauge on bradley and bradleymeat gaugefor IT.any ideas how to fix ,thanx

Mr Walleye

4blade

What was the fat content of the pork you used?

The reason I ask is you made a 10 lb batch... 7 lbs was venison which is pretty much 100% lean... you want to have a final mix of around 80% meat and 20% fat... some use up to 30% fat... based on your mix the pork would have to be 2/3's fat to have a final mix of 80/20... If you used pork butt it is approximately 80/20 on it's own.

I suspect you didn't have enough fat in it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

4blade

thanx mike ,yes we did use pork butt ,so i guess we need more of the pork fat than the meat of the butt? will try again thanx

NePaSmoKer

Just seen this post.

Have to go with Mike on it too.

Another thing, you didnt grind the ECA did you?

pensrock

Yep Mike got you steered in the right direction. I  have only used this recipe with 80/20 ground beef. But there is no reason you cannot use venison but you need fat to keep it moist.

NePaSmoKer

I did 10 pounds of venison with this recipe. Mixed 80/20, turned out great

4blade

thanx guys ,i think i have a longer learning curve,thats why this forum is great,frustrating though to see all the pics of you r sticks and mine still look like crap,nepa what is ECA , isee lots of abbreviations on the site but for us rookies ? i need an abbrev  cheat sheet for all the posts.will definately up the fat content ,

pensrock

ECA = Encapsulated citric acid (optional) It give the sticks that little tangy taste.

NePaSmoKer

Here is Gregs spicy sticks. I didnt chop the red pepper flakes, like em whole  ;D

This is the mix for the 5lb batch i am doing today.

Stuffed and going in fridge for awhile.

nepas

OU812

NePas that ring of sticks is sure prety.  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Got the 5lbs of pens recipe hanging now with pecan smoke.

And when i turn around i have the cold smoker going with cheese  ;D  Apple smoke for this one.

nepas

pensrock

Starting to get some color in the new six rack I see. Still pretty shiny though.  :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on January 06, 2010, 07:52:18 AM
Starting to get some color in the new six rack I see. Still pretty shiny though.  :)

Yeah it is.

If it wasnt so freakin cold i would load it up with a couple butts.

jcohan

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 06, 2010, 08:14:48 AM
If it wasnt so freakin cold i would load it up with a couple butts.

Ah, but when it's cold you can smoke cheese without it turning into a scary halloween decoration!

This is in my album of first attempts.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG