cold smoked cheese

Started by Seahawk, December 29, 2009, 07:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seahawk

Question for all you clod smokers

I live in washington state where it is fairly cold this time of year, and was wondering if i need a cold smoke adapter for smoking cheeses. I hear alot of people talking about the adapter but kind of figured they probably live in warm climate areas. Is this true?
And what is a good smoke for cheeses!

Seahawk

I forgot too mention i have a bradley digital four rack.

KevinG

I'm guessing you didn't want to call us clods, and meant cold  ;D but anyhow, as long as the temp in your smoker doesn't get too hot (around 70 F maybe up to 90 on harder cheeses) you don't need it. I've smoked with hickory and apple and got a lot more compliments on the apple. I've heard people using pecan with good results also.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Seahawk

Also what is the average time too smoke 2lb. loafs of cheese?

KevinG

I wouldn't over do it. Start off with only 1 hour and go from there. Too much smoke will make it taste like ashtray. You also don't want to eat it right away either for the same reason. Vacuum pack it and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks to mellow out.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Seahawk

Thanks for all your help kevin, enjoying my bradley already with this great forum and haven't even used it yet!

Ka Honu

I don't know how much heat the smoke generator puts out but I'd probably do a trial run to check the box temp with a tray of ice on the bottom rack.  I usually shoot for about 80o so if it's in that neighborhood you should be fine.

OBTW, Kevin, "clod smoker" has a legitimate meaning (although I agree that it was probably a typo in this instance).  I wouldn't mind trying to smoke a clod (beef shoulder) but I don't think I've seen them sold much outside of Texas.

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Seahawk!

I would cut those pieces down to under 2" thick. The smoke will penetrate better that way.

My last cheese, I went 1:40 smoke time and it was great!
HawkeyeSmokes

Slamdunk

Seahawk, glad to see you have a new hobby so you have something else to do than watch the Seahawks get "smoked". The game on the w/e was just SO horrible!! I'm in BC, north of you and being a Homer, the Hawks are my favorite team, but ......jeez....

The fellows have steered you in the right direction. I smoke a lot of cheese - not nearly as much as some people on the forum - for example Pensrock smokes something like 100 lbs per year - so use the search function and take a read on his advice.

I will just add a few things not mentioned so far.

At the temps we in the NW are experiencing right now ie:a few degrees above freezing, the cold smoke will be fine. Just try to keep it below 85 degrees or so. If the temp gets up above that, just prop open the door a bit and that will bring the temp down. There will still be plenty of smoke being absorbed into the cheese.

I like Apple for my cheese as it isn't a strong flavoured wood, it adds a nice additional flavor but doesn't overpower the original taste of the cheese. I smoke for about 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours - 4 or 5 pucks.

Lately, as the cheese in the US is about 1/2 the price of Canadian prices, I have been going down to Bellingham and buying Tillumook cheeses: Swiss, Extra sharp Cheddar and Gouda. As Pensrock has mentioned Swiss cheese is the fastest smoked, so bring your Swiss out earlier than the others - say 1/2 hour earlier. Let it air for a while and pat dry any moisture you see. Then wrap in Saran wrap and put into the fridge for about 2 weeks.

Good luck, I think you'll have better luck than the Hawks do in their next game!!

pensrock

Sounds like everyone got you steered in the right direction. I like to keep my temp around 75-85 degrees in the smoker when doing cheese. I also use mainly apple because that is what everyone seems to like. If its only for me I'll use oak or hickory. I like a little stronger smoke. Also I just wrap it with plastic wrap and put into a zip lock bag, unless I plan to keep it over a couple months, then I'll vacuum seal it. Sometimes there will be a little moisture on the cheese when you take it out, just pat it dry with paper towels. I have been smoking mine lately for 3-4 hours, but since you are new to doing this I would go for two hours to see how much smoke you prefer. I normally will not allow the cheese to be eaten for at least ten days, I prefer two weeks. The more time it is allowed to mellow the better it will be. I've done about 50 pounds since November. People like my cheese.  ;D

love the smoke

The last cold smoke I did (thanksgiving turkey) I put a bunch of ice on the v-pan when it melted it gave me the liquid to extinguish the burnt pucks, worked out very good

LTS
LTS

NePaSmoKer

Good idea today cuz its pretty clod out like 29*

Going to clod smoke some Velveeta with some clod apple smoke  :D  ;D

Oh baby its clod out there  :D

pensrock

smoked Velveeta is really good, use on nachos or make grilled cheese sandwiches.

Ka Honu

Velveeta is actually cheese?  I like it but always thought it was a petroleum byproduct.

NePaSmoKer

Done smoked velveeta with 4 pucks of apple clod smoke  :D  :D

nepas