Xtra Heating element

Started by schneep, December 30, 2009, 12:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schneep

I have read all the posts about adding another element to my OBS, bit still not sure if it's something I can do without screwing it up.  Is there a kit available with instructions? or do I need to buy all the pieces separate?
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

HawkeyeSmokes

Not a kit that I know of. For mine, I just bought the element from Yard & Pool, some high temp wire and ring terminals from a local appliance repair store. Oh, I needed a couple of 4MM course hex nuts for the new element.
HawkeyeSmokes

Habanero Smoker

It's a very simple modification. The most difficult part was making the hole in thin stainless steel. I would suggest that you purchase an new reflector shield as a backup.

Depending on which model you have, the following two links list all the parts and tools you will need, and detailed step by step instructions.

Additional Heating Element Modification
Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control
The On/Off switch is not needed.

You may have problems trying to purchase the high temperature wire from an appliance store. I had to get mine from
Allied Kenco
When I placed my order the smallest gauge was 12, now I see they have 14 gauge. Besides the extra hex nuts, get a few extra spade connectors as backups.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

I just did mine and it was easy. Some tips:
1) I bought my wire and connectors (both ring and female) from Allied Kenco since it was difficult to find it locally. I would recommend you buy extra wire (I bought 15 ft) and definitely extra rings and female connectors. Its cheap insurance.
2) when running the wires for the extra element, run it through the ceremic insulator before crimping on the ring connector. I didn't and the ring didn't fit through the hole in the insulator so I had to cut it off and redo.
3) When measuring the wire make it a little longer in case you have to do a redo (see #2 above)
3) As stated in the directions: measure twice cut (or Drill) once.
4) Take pictures before you disconnect anything in case you forget where things go.
5) When drilling the reflector plate, start with a small pilot hole. I did a small pilot and then used a step drill and measured after each step until I had the size I wanted.
6) If you follow the directions, the hardest part is drilling the reflector due to its thinness. You are not drilling, cutting or modifying the smoker box. So there is nothing that you can screw up that is not relatively cheap and easy to replace. Just follow the directions, take it slow and think through what you are doing and it is a piece of cake even for a novice like me. The guys (Mike and Habs) did a great job with the instructions. The performance increase is well worth the effort.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Dachar

Is this something that is necessary? Why did you do this in the first place? I just got my OBS for Christmas and am smoking chicken tonight. Seems fine, but don't really know what I'm doing?

GusRobin

Ii did it to speed up the temp recovery time. A lot of posts complained about the lag time to get temps up once the door was opened and getting the temp up when a lot of meat was being cooked.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Dachar on December 30, 2009, 08:11:53 PM
Is this something that is necessary? Why did you do this in the first place? I just got my OBS for Christmas and am smoking chicken tonight. Seems fine, but don't really know what I'm doing?

It's not necessary.

With any of the 4 rack smokers your better off those with the DBS6 as they both use the same heating element.

A lot of people use their smokers with out it.

I have the 6 rack and live in a cold climate and the extra element works for me.

And GusRobin is spot on!
HawkeyeSmokes

Habanero Smoker

Hi Dachar;

Welcome to the forum.

Any modification of any Bradley is not necessary, but are enhancements.

I had my OBS for more then 4 years before adding the second element. I find the extra element brings you cabinet temperature up to your set temperature much faster. This makes for more consistent smoking/cooking times, and reduces the overall time it takes to finish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

anderson5420

I am not allowed around power tools!  So this is really not an option for me!

I have an OBS, 4 racks, and don't feel I have an issue with recovery times.  Smoker cabinet temps are controlled with a Ranco controller, and the slide on the OBS is all the way up.  Inernal meat temps are monitored with a Maverick ET-71.  Even if cabinet temp drops for a short period for opening the door (question: WHY are you opening the door, anyway? Not having to open the door is a huge plus for the OBS over my old SMI 20 lb smoker, which is actually a much better constructed and insulated cabinet), the meat temp does not drop much at all.  The cabinet temp comes back up in short order, and I am going for a certain internal temperature in the meat, so the extra time for recovery is pretty much immaterial, no?

Some people just need a project!
So many recipes, so little time!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: anderson5420 on December 31, 2009, 07:14:31 AM
Some people just need a project!

I can't argue with you there! I always have to play.  ;)  :D

Seriously though, I constantly will do 6 racks of ribs at a time in my DBS or other similar sized loads. Even without opening the cabinet with this size of load it will take 3 to 4 hours to get to my target temp. Add to that the requirement to open the cabinet to empty the water bowl of spent pucks, rotate racks, and you are constantly in a recovery state as far as temps go. Throw my ambient winter temps (-20 to -40) into the mix and the problem is amplified. I do have my DBS in my heated garage (vented) to eliminate the weather though.

Can you get along with out the 2nd element mod? For sure you can, just add time to your smoke based on all the variables. You can also get along fine without a Ranco controller, PID, circulation fan or any of the other mods. These mods just simply make things easier and are certainly not a requirement, to each their own so to speak.

I'm always trying to build a better mouse trap!  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Klondikesmoker

I would agree that you should not open the door much.  But it is necessary at times.  Rotating racks of jerky adding water or taking it out, basting, foililng, or any other reason.   Also for those of us that live in the north -10C (10F) in my garage.  When I open the door on my 6BDS I loose 50 degrees or more if I am rotating racks, it takes a long time to recover the heat.  I am looking at the mod and will probably do it in the near future.

Klondikesmoker

HawkeyeSmokes

Well put Mike.

Since I've added the extra element to my DBS6, the recovery times are very short. My feelings are that the 6 rack benefits more from this mod than the 4 rack because of the cabinet size.

Klondikesmoker, you won't be disappointed if you decide to do it. If you have any questions, Mike is a great resource on it.

Here's a link to his post on the mod if you haven't seen it. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=572
HawkeyeSmokes

Klondikesmoker

Hawkeye

Yes I have seen the link.  That is what has convinced me that I should do the mod.  With those instructions even I can do it, I think.

Just have to order the parts from Bradley

Klondikesmoker

GusRobin

Quote from: Klondikesmoker on December 31, 2009, 08:55:41 AM
Just have to order the parts from Bradley

Klondikesmoker,
Don't know who is cheaper but I ordered my Bradley parts from Yard and Pool; I had problems finding high temp appliance wire and connectors locally so I ordered it from Allied Kenco on line.

Klondikesmoker

Yard and pool is in the US, I am in Canada and Bradley is in the next province over.
I will check the local electrical shop for wire and connectors.

KS