Xtra Heating element

Started by schneep, December 30, 2009, 12:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

make sure you check what they call high temp. A couple stores here had "high temp" but when I read the specs they were limited to 167 F. I think the key is to ask for "high temp appliance" wiire and connectors. At least that was my experience.  good luck
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

schneep

I started this post because I have never been able to even reach the temps most of you guys write about.  I use the auber and the et-73, but always seem to be in the lower temp range no matter what.  I don't believe I have ever been over 225 degrees, I can hold 200 steady as a rock, but after that its a waiting game. 
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

GusRobin

Quote from: schneep on December 31, 2009, 10:18:50 AM
I started this post because I have never been able to even reach the temps most of you guys write about.  I use the auber and the et-73, but always seem to be in the lower temp range no matter what.  I don't believe I have ever been over 225 degrees, I can hold 200 steady as a rock, but after that its a waiting game. 
Are you able to reach a higher temp with no meat in the smoker? If not you may have a problem with your smoker. Do you have the vent open? Plugs all properly seated? If no one here can give you a suggestion to fix, I would call Bradley and discuss before I mod. You should be getting higher temps, especially empty
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: anderson5420 on December 31, 2009, 07:14:31 AM
Some people just need a project!

Some people recognize the benefits of a project, and take advantage of it; such as adding a heating control device; which is something not needed. Adding an extra element is one of those type of projects

I open the door, as other have mentioned, to load, change water, rotate racks. Also as Mike mentioned, your cabinet temperature reaches the initial set temperature in minutes, not hours. I've used the OBS without the second element for over 5 years, I miscalculated the time earlier, and I see an huge improvement of recovery times especially after first loading the meat, and the total time it takes to do a full load is reduce significantly.

Like I said earlier it is not necessary, but if someone feel they can do this project, which can be done without power tools, I highly recommend it. Fortunately I can use power tool, though not all that well. :)

Mike;

Keep building those mouse traps!! I have a lot of mice to catch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

schneep

Everything seems to be working, all plugs secure, vent open when smoking, slider all the way to the right.  Been this way since I purchased so I just figured that's how it was to be.
Everything cooks good, just can't get a high temp.  The gauge on the door and the ET-73 are pretty close in temp.  The auber will keep things at the set temp if I don't set it too high.

HawkeyeSmokes

What kind of ambient air temps do you have right now schneep? And is your smoker out of the wind?
HawkeyeSmokes

schneep

Right now it is 15 degrees F, but I had this problem even in the summer with the temp at 85 degrees F

The location I use is out of the wind also.

HawkeyeSmokes

Do you know if they are other things on the circuit your plugging into? And are you using an extension cord?

At 85 deg you shouldn't have much problem getting it up to temp.
HawkeyeSmokes

schneep

5 foot heavy duty extension cord, single circuit

HawkeyeSmokes

I think I would give Bradley a call schneep. From what you have said, I do think your smoker should be able to reach 225 in summer time temps.

Is it that way even empty during a preheat?
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

I agree with HES I had mine on the other day at around 2 degrees outside and it preheated right up to 240f no problem.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Another important question, is where are you placing the temperature probes? If  the door gauge and the probes are reading the same, then it may be a matter of where you are placing your probes. If you locate the probes above the meat or in between racks, you will get a lower reading.

Also I don't believe you mentioned what size load you are smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

big kahuna

This may be a really stupid question, but, doesn't anybody make a bulb with more power, that is a direct
replacement?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: big kahuna on February 22, 2010, 09:40:29 AM
This may be a really stupid question, but, doesn't anybody make a bulb with more power, that is a direct
replacement?

Definitely not a stupid question BK!  ;)

I researched that as well before coming up with adding the second element. I was never able to find a replacement that has higher watts and still the same length. It has to do with the watt density of the element material, etc.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Toker

Hi everyone i have a small problem that you can help me with I'm sure so if you could help me pls with these info i would appreciate thx in advance.

1st Do you know if Allied Kenco ship to Canada? Would be great if they do.
2Nd on their site i found the good high temp wire OK but I'm not Sure about the right connectors spades rings female etc i don't know anything in this world of mod so if you could just point me the good required pieces on their site so i could visualise and order if they ship to Canada of course thx Frank.