First Smoke. I am Hooked!! (with pics)

Started by bayamosmokes, December 31, 2009, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayamosmokes

Just completed my first smoke! I got my OBS for Christmas and bad weather had kept me from my initial smoke.

I decided to use 10.5's recipe for ribs and it was easy and better than I could have ever imagined. The ribs had a great taste and fell right off the bone.

I took it easy on my first smoke endeavor so I cooked a 3.5lb slab of baby back ribs. I put them on at 7am and had them for lunch at 12:30. Total cook time was 5:15.

Now I need a good recipe for pulled pork. I bought a 7lb boston butt from Sams and am ready to get to smoking. I am hooked! Tenpoint5, don't leave me hanging, anybody who has that good of a recipe for ribs has got to have something great for pulled pork. I'll be waiting!

Here are some pics I took with my camera phone.

Just out of the fridge

Into the foil

Ready to eat

"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

classicrockgriller

Awesome job! Looks great!

There are several pulled pork rub recipes on the recipe site.

recipe site: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

Iceman has one of the best.

KyNola

Congrats guy!  The ribs look great.

OK on to pork butts.  Day before the smoke, paint your butt with cheap yellow mustard and apply your favorite rub.  Double wrap in plastic wrap and into the frig for an overnight sleep.  Day of smoke, remove the butt from the frig a couple of hours before it's going in the smoker.  Preheat your smoker up to around 250-260.  The reason for such a high preheat is you're going to lose a ton of heat when you open the door to put a cold piece of meat in the smoker.  Apply 4 hours of your favorite smoke while leaving the temp set at your preheat level until you see the temp of the smoker come back up to around the 200-225 level and adjust your smoker to maintain that level. Now that the smoke has been applied you have a couple options.  You can either continue the cook process in your Bradley or transfer it to your house oven at the same temp as your Bradley.  Either way, you're in a for a long time.  The IT of the butt will start to rise but don't panic when it stalls somewhere in the 145-160 range for several hours.  That's exactly what you want it to do so resist the urge to bump up the cooking temp.  Take the IT of the butt up to 185-200.  At this point you're finished and can either FTC the butt for a while or pull right away.

There you go buddy.  Simple but oh so good!

KyNola

Edited--sorry CRG, didn't mean to step on you.  You were quicker than me.  :D   

Tenpoint5

Glad the Ribs turned out for you so well on your first smoke!! My good friend KyNola has you hooked up with the Boston Butt. Before I forget Welcome Aboard!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bayamosmokes

KyNola,

Thanks for the recipe. Any idea how long it should take to cook a 7 - 8 lb butt? I know the key is the IT and it needs to be cooked unit that temp is reached but i need some type of guess when it comes to how long it should take. It will give me an idea of what time to start. With my luck the IT would hit 185 at 3am  ;D

"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bayamosmokes

Thank you. Happy New Years to all. Everyone be safe!

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

Brisket Lover

Looks great!  Im doing 16lbs of butt tonight also.   Happy new years to ya!

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

pensrock

Congrats on the ribs, looks like the advice given for the pork butt is right on. I agree 10-14 hours to do the butt. Welcome to the forum.

drano

Great--another happy Bradley owner ;D

Nice looking ribs in those pics.  See how easy it is?
For pork butt, my advise is 230 deg temp until the butt hits 190-195, then FTC it for a few hours, then pull/slice and enjoy.  Even though pork is done at lower temps, going to 190 will make it fall apart tender.  I learned that on this forum (along w/ everything else I know about Bradley smoking).
get smokin
drano

hal4uk

A couple of things...

1) It's done when it's done - git-r-up to 190.  Might take longer than 14 hours - don't freak - just wait.

2) KY told ya real good what to do...
Just be sure and don't discount what he said about taking it out a couple of hours before you begin to smoke
Follow exactly what he said, and you'll be grinnin' from ear to ear.

----
Good lookin' ribs!  And welcome to the madness...

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

bayamosmokes

Thank you everyone for the kind words and the great advice. The wife told me to wait on making a 8lb butt until I have a lot of mouths to feed. Looks like it will be party time soon.

I just got my maverick today so I think i might start preparing some chicken to smoke in the morning.

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

hal4uk

Bayamo!!!... 

Jerry!!! Tell her about shrinkage!!!!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

bayamosmokes

hal4uk,

I guess she's not used seeing any shrinkage!

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward