First Smoke. I am Hooked!! (with pics)

Started by bayamosmokes, December 31, 2009, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Bayamo,
I'm sure your wife is a very nice person but I don't think she understands the urgency of firing up the Bradley again. ;)  Besides, pulled pork freezes very well, especially if you vac seal it.  Then all you have to do to reheat is bring a pan of water to just under a boil and place the frozen bag still sealed in the water for 30 minutes or so.  It's as good or better than when you bring it out of the smoker the first time.

Now.......start smoking that butt!

Geaux Saints!  Sorry about the LSU Tigers.

KyNola

electricshaman

Hey everyone,
THis is my first post.  Today i did my first smoke.  It went well.  Ribs and Chx.  THis site is great for a first timer.  Cant wait for round two. 

starship

Fine looking ribs, if ya need a test them for food safety, send them my way!
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

bayamosmokes

Thanks for the compliments on the ribs. I was going to finally smoke a pork butt tonight and tomorrow but the weather is not cooperating. Somebody up there doesn't want me to cook a pork butt ::) Expecting a wind chill of 15 degrees F tonight, IN BATON ROUGE !!!!!!

"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

JT-MO

Welcome to the forum, it's cold all across the US now  :(

I'm still waiting to do my first set of ribs, but I agree with the above, smoke a butt and don't worry about mouths to feed, you can always vac seal and freeze. I have some in the deep freeze from my first time smoke a couple weeks back.

Aether

Smoking 2 pork butts tonight.  15F in Central New York, 5MPH wind, light snow.  The Bradley is outside and all fired up.  Butts rubbed last night, sat in fridge all night and day.  Put in smoker at 1700, will do 6 hours hickory smoke and continue to cook (230F) in the Bradley till IT of 195F.  Will remove butts from Bradley in the AM and let rest for 1 hour till cool enough to pull (I DO NOT FTC, I like the bark nice and crunchy, when I pull the pork, I scrape the fat off the back of the bark and mix the bark in with the meat).  After the pork is pulled, and it is still warm, I add 2 cups good BBQ sauce (per butt) to the pork which soaks the sauce in like a sponge (I know, DAMN YANKEES).  Will vac seal this and freeze for th boy scout trip to the central adirondacks next weekend.  Pulled pork sandwiches with slaw and vinegar sauce.  AWESOME!

bayamosmokes

Aether,

Are you calling me a whimp?!  >:( J/K You are making me jealous. Thing is, when it gets that cold down here we just quit moving. Schools were even closed today because it was so cold. No snow and no ice, just cold. Go figure.
"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

Aether

Next week in the adirondacks, I expect to have to hike 1.5 miles through 4 feet of snow to reach the scout camp, with full packs, etc.  Temp should be close to the single digits at night and around 20F during the day.  Plan to hike, ice fish (catch some pike and fry them up).  We will have an old, leaky, un insulated cabin with 16 bunks, a wood stove, electric lights and fridge.  CANNOT wait!!!  Pulled pork for dinner 1 night, chili with rice and cornbread the next.  Maybe a sprinkling of parsley (have to feed the scouts something green or else the Moms with have a tizzy).  Real man food!

Quarlow

They have electricity but no roads. Whats with that?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

bayamosmokes

When my son was a scout, we would drive to camp avondale here in Louisiana. Drive right up to the campsite, set up tents and a couple of quiet honda generators. We would set up our direct tv satellite,  plug it into big LCD and watch some good southern college football. Did I mention it was about 75 - 80 degrees. After it got dark, we would grill a full tenderloin for the dads and some burgers and hot dogs for the kids. NOW THATS CAMPING!  ;D

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

Quarlow

Oh I am sorry I apparently missed something as a kid in cubs I guess. Our fall camp out we drove to this parking lot in the mountains and then hiked 10 miles to a wilderness camp ground. We set up tents and put up this great big roll of plastic to cook and eat under. We cooked over an open fire and everyone had to cook their own meals with sticks and we also had to start the fire without matches. The first morning we all awoke to 2' of snow which we cleaned away with branches and boots. We also learned how to cross a creek with some poles and rope. If I had known we could get satelite up there we would have been watching Sesame Street or something. ;D ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

hal4uk

Did you know that you can actually get kicked out of the cub scouts?
Apparently, if you get blood all over your den mother's kitchen...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Ok hal I don't know if I want to hear this story but let's all hear it anyways. :-\ :-\

OBS
BBQ

hal4uk

We were carving bucaneer ships out of balsa wood.
My knife slipped.  Sliced my finger wide open...
I was in some serious pain, screaming like a banshee...

Blood was splattered everywhere.
Shoulda got to the sink quicker I guess.
Next thing I know, I'm an ex-cub scout.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Somehow I think this was more like the scene from "A Christmas Story" where the kid was pounding on the bully and had the torrent of swear words flying from his mouth. Hal were you firing a volley of foul words at the same time. ;D ;D ;D

OBS
BBQ