First Smoke. I am Hooked!! (with pics)

Started by bayamosmokes, December 31, 2009, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddlinpaul

We do have it rougher in Canada. When I did my cub/scout trips it meant canoeing and portaging our way into the site. In the winter we snowshoed in. We also cooked all our own meals, did our owns dishes.
It trained me for adulthood. Now, every May I go with my bother and friends, canoe and portage for half a day into Algonquin Park in Ontario Canada. Google it if you aren't familiar with it. It is challenging to go for 5 to 7 days because no cans or bottles are allowed. Cooler packs last up to 3 days if we are lucky and its not too warm. From there we need de-hydrated food. We have single burner camp stoves but cook mainly over an open fire.
Can anyone suggest food that can be smoked in advance, packed and kept at least 1 week with no refrigeration?
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

hal4uk

I dunno..  That was over 40 years ago.
All I remember is the pain, the blood, a meeting with the grand pooh-bah (something about "unacceptable behavior"), and how the other kids (the good ones) got to go on camping trips.

Anyhow, that'll teach 'em to let just any boy in the cub scouts.
Let's face it, if a kid flunks kindergarten, he might be a questionable candidate.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Paddlinpaul

@Hal - My scouting ended when I was caught smoking in my tent. That was OK, didn't want to advance to Rovers or Venturers whatever they called the next level.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on January 08, 2010, 06:31:40 PM
My scouting ended when I was caught smoking in my tent.

Brisket, pork butt, turkey or salmon?
;)

Paddlinpaul

KevinG

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on January 08, 2010, 06:19:00 PM

Can anyone suggest food that can be smoked in advance, packed and kept at least 1 week with no refrigeration?

Only thing that comes to mind is jerky.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

bayamosmokes

"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

KyNola

So hijacked they're about to take hostages and start making demands!(Sorry Hal, had to use it one more time ;D)

KyNola