New Categories??

Started by msiler, February 20, 2004, 12:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msiler

Does anyone have admin rights to add new forum categories (folders) on the front forum pages. My research shows only one person listed in the member directory as forum admin (grakka) and he has not been on since July. I had some ideas on how we could organize the board a little better if we could get some more categories added. For example splitting up the recipe discusions and the recipes themselves. just thought it may make things a bit more streamlined.

When in doubt smoke it.

Fuzzybear

No one as far as I know except Grakka...somebody needs to send him an email...perhaps he'll allow admin rights?  It is strange that he's not been in here since July 2003.  

Who's paying for the site?  Nothings free!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Regforte

OK, at the risk of sounding like a stick-in-the-mud I have to say I'm not sure that more categories would be helpful. It's already split out into too many. One guy came in and posted the same message to 3 different categories. In order to check the followups on that you need to read all those threads instead of just one. Not good.

If you look at other boards that have categories, there are usually fewer, not more. Cookshack, for instance, has 2 main categories that people actually use, one for owners and one for open discussion. It's simpler and quicker to use, frankly.

Do we reall need separate categories for bradley original and stainless steel? Probably not.

I don't mean to be contentious here, and I'm sure open to new ideas. Maybe you could explain more about how more categories would be helpful, i.e. how it would make the board better and easier to use...

Fuzzybear

Heehee...was that me Reg??[:D]
Sorry - was asked questions and replied...reply posts were very similar so it could have been me....our moderator needs to be eyeballing and fixing where appropriate.....[:D]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Regforte

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Fuzzybear
<br />Heehee...was that me Reg??[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No big deal Fuzz! It just made for a good example of my point is all ... no offense intended [:D]

Kummok

Regforte:
I'm with you on this....simplicity is better. Not everyone, myself included, that uses this forum is a forum 201 graduate and it's too easy to see good stuff buried/lost in too many topic areas.

As far as the forum coach, I haven't seen/heard anyone from Bradley on this forum since joining last year. It's great of them to provide this for us and we seem to do well without some official etymology coach reading over our shoulder.....(smokers are such a COOL bunch!![;)][:D][^]), but it WOULD be a nice addition to have some backup to Kirk's Bradley technical expertice, in case he wants to take a trip to Alaska or something [;)]

I'm thinkin that categories could be as simple as:
Smoker/wood
Recipes (including cures)
Experiences

[?]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

ChefJeff

Sounds about right.I'm new here and I jump to all the boards to see whats going on and I'm VERY TIRED![:o)]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Chez Bubba

Well, we're gonna give it the old college try! The board has gotten popular enough that John can't keep up to his satisfaction. I offered to help & crap! he took me up on it.[:D]

I'll be re-arranging posts in the next few days to try & get them more organized. I'm new to this so I'll apologize in advance to whoever I accidentally delete their post.[B)]

Feel free to email me or post suggestions for the overall organization. Just remember the old saying about "You can please some of the people.............".

Smoke On,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Regforte

Glad you stepped foreward, Chez. Hopefully you won't regret it [:)]

I thought Kummok's suggestions for categories was a good one. I think one of the most important things is to have a separate category for recipes.

You might want to consider if/how you'll be archiving topics. Usually threads are posted into a few "live" categories and then get archived at some point. Just a thought. I've moderated and administered forums before so if you have any questions let me know.

Bassman

Congratulations Kirk on your administration adventure. I have great confidence in you and am sure that you will do excellent. Perhaps one thing to look into would be a way to actually post pictures right to the forum instead of putting them on the internet.Just a thought.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Fuzzybear

Congrats Kirk!  

I thought I saw "Administrator" as part of your title!!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bassman</i>
<br />Congratulations Kirk on your administration adventure. I have great confidence in you and am sure that you will do excellent. Perhaps one thing to look into would be a way to actually post pictures right to the forum instead of putting them on the internet.Just a thought.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Jack,

I only frequent a handful of forums and all of them mandate the pictures posted be on the internet. I could see it being a bandwidth issue, but do you know of any forum that it's possible to post pictures directly? I don't know enough about these things to tell you what can & can't be done, but if you give me some ammo, I'll go hunting.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Bassman

No Kirk actually I don't know of any. And I think your right, It's probably a resource issue.Both bandwith & disk space on there servers.

Jack

Fuzzybear

Kirk:  There is another forum I belong to http://www.socalsinker.com/forum/default.asp that is very similar in setup to this one...they have in their reply box an opportunity to attach photos directly from your p.c.

I am not endorsing that site as it has nothing to do with this one, but I do post pics there from time to time and so do others...  They are limited in size so as not to take up server space.

Glendora, CA - USA!