started extra heating element now have ??

Started by love the smoke, January 01, 2010, 07:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

LTS

The thermal fuse blows at a given temperature. I'm not exactly sure on the exact temperature that Bradley uses. In the OBS or the DBS it is usually located next to the exposed metal of the tower. In Your OBS, it's right next to the thermal cutoff and senses the heat from the exposed metal.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bradley (Head Office)

LTS & Mike

The In-line Fuse (thermal fuse) has a rating of 10 amp 250V and is rated for 150c or 300F

Here is a article I copied from the internet on how the fuse works

Thermal Fuse Basics
A thermal fuse is an emergency device used to prevent electrical appliances from overheating. Like an electrical fuse, a thermal fuse completely burn outs when the machine it is attached to gets beyond its safety level. Unlike an electrical fuse, a thermal fuse is melted by excessive heat instead of shorted out by excessive current.

Function
A thermal fuse uses a fusible link--two pieces of metal which are attached together by a substance designed to melt at a particular temperature. Under normal circumstances, current runs through between the two plates, running the appliance. When it gets too hot, however, the fusible alloy--the substance which holds the pieces together--melts, and they spring apart, turning off the current.

The Purpose of a Thermal Fuse
Devices which use heaters, such as coffee machines and hair dryers, have a heating element controlled by a thermostat. The thermostat keeps the heating element at the right temperature by repeatedly turning it on and off. If the thermostat malfunctions and won't turn off, the machine will keep heating up, potentially causing a fire. The thermal fuse stops this from happening by automatically turning off the power if things get dangerously hot.

That explains it better than I could write it.

Brian

Toker

Sorry to put my nose in it but I'm in the same boat and i don't understand everything  ??? anyway i ordered all the required pieces for it (at least i thought) does it mean that i have to order an Thermal Fuse  separated it didn't came with the black thing? Once again, sorry to put my nose in it.

P.S. my smoker is OBS

Mr Walleye

Thanks again Brian, That's a way better explanation then mine too!  ;)

Mike

Mr Walleye

Toker

I can't remember if you have an OBS or a DBS. Either way the directions are on the recipe site.

Here is the instructions on the DBS.

Here is the instructions on the OBS.

What we were discussing here was the factory thermal fuse that the Bradley uses as a safety device. Certainly if you install a 2nd element you could also loop the wiring for it right beside the original wiring and install another thermal fuse in it. That way you would have all the protection afforded by the original Bradley, except with 1000 watts of power.

I'm also assuming you are controlling your Bradley with a PID. This is a must in my opinion when adding the 2nd element.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Toker

my smoker is a obs the black one sorry again i put my nose in something that does not regard me but its because i want all my pieces to be there and ready before i call the electrician and i have the impression or the doubt that i m missing a piece so i will need a 2ND thermal fuse according this discussion. I just thought my kit was complete but its not. I'm just a little disappointed it doesn't come with it and disappointed about my low electric knowledge.

Mr Walleye

Toker

No problem...

Are you running a PID?

What parts have you ordered?

Mike

Toker

yes im runing a pid i ordered only the black sensor i forgot to check for the thermal fuse i made a mistake i thought the sensor kit included it based on habs picture i did not seen it the rest is complete execept for the jumper thing you know for connecting the wires out of the slider bar and running it directly throught the back of the unit. But i think my electrician will be able to fix it unless i still missing a detail. ???

Mr Walleye

Toker

I think it would be a good idea (safety wise) to add the thermal fuse for the additional heating element wiring. If you have an electrician doing the wiring for you I'm sure he'll be able to figure it out based on the information on the Recipe site.

You should be able to order the thermal fuse from Bradley or Yard and Pool. It's so small they should be able to send it in regular mail.

Have you already ordered the additional heating element and high temp wire?

Mike

Toker

Anyway, if you say that i can order it the thermal fuse from Bradley i will i just remarked that the bottom of my door is cracked i have to order from them anyway.

Mr Walleye

Toker

It looks like you have everything you need.

Yup... if you have to order something from Bradley you might just as well get the thermal fuse at the same time.

Mike

Toker

Its been a hard learning night today but i rather make this mistake now than later with the electrician your help doesn't cost as much as it will with the electrician. Anyway THANKS ALOTS FOR YOUR TIME!!!!

Mr Walleye

No problem Toker... if ya lived a little closer I'd do the mod for you.

Keep us posted how you make out with it.

Mike

_Bear_

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 03, 2010, 06:56:19 PM
No problem Toker... if ya lived a little closer I'd do the mod for you.

Mike

I do live closer and I may just take you up on that sometime LOL.
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"