Canned or vacuum sealed?

Started by Scottie, January 02, 2010, 12:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottie

My family just bought me my first smoker.  I'm the angler, they just love to eat fish.  As they live a fair distance away I usually freeze their fillets, but now they have nicely forced me to smoke them instead.   To preserve smoked fish is it better to freeze in a vacuum seal or in a jar.

Heard there were concerns for bacteria buildup with smoked fish.

True or False?

Thanks for any help.

Scottie

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum Scottie. I have not heard of any bacteria problems but I don't hear everything and someone will be along to answer to that. I smoke lots of fish and just vac bag it and freeze it with no probelms at all. If fact I am eating some smoked salmon I did back in the summer right now.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

If it is not properly prepared, then like any meat there are concerns for bacterial spoilage. If you follow a reliable recipe that has a good brine such as Kummok's recipe, then the fish will be safe.

Smoked Alaskan Salmon

I've never canned fish, but have vacuum sealed and froze with no problems.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Scottie

Awesome help guys, like a kid with a new toy can't wait to try this thing.

Scottie

Quarlow

Get'r done Scottie. Smoke'm if you got'm.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.