Home made hard cheese

Started by crabwise, December 30, 2009, 02:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crabwise

Has anyone made a home made hard cheese and smoked it?  I'm wondering if you let the cheese age and then smoke it, or smoke it first then let it age?  I'm thinking that you smoke it before aging, but I haven't found anything yet saying one thing or the other.

deb415611

So far I have only smoked purchased cheese which comes out great. 

I have just started making cheese & just made my second farmhouse cheddar last weekend.  It is in the drying stage & should be ready to be waxed this weekend.  I might split it in 1/2  and try smoking a piece of it before aging (time and weather permitting) but I won't know how it comes out for 3 -4 wks. 

Cheeseforum.org has a really active forum.  There is a member "DeeJayDebi" that has extensive knowledge on both smoking & cheese making.  She or someone else there would probably know the answer if nobody here is able to help. 

crabwise

Thanks Deb.  That's what I'm making, farmhouse cheddar.  I'm making it just so I can smoke it, because I've liked what I've bought and smoked so much.  I'll check out that web site. 

crabwise

I found the answer on the web site, thanks.  Apparently you want to smoke it before aging.  After aging the cheese has a rind and wont take the smoke as well.

Thanks again.