Smoked Corn on the Cob

Started by IKnowWood, April 24, 2006, 06:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

OK, I know there is a recipe on S&S and I kinda did that and loved it.  But I want to see if we can improve on it. 

these are the details.  The base is assume 4 Ears of Corn.

Ingredients: 

4 Ears of Yellow Corn
4 slices of Bacon
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

Pull back the husk on the ear of corn but do not remove them.  just pull them back enough to get at the silk.  Remove the silk clean.  then submerge the corn in tap water at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours. 

Preheat the Smoker to 200 degrees and setup for smoke for 1 hour 15 minutes with favorite wood

Take cob from water and pull husk back.  Salt and Pepper corn, then wrap one strip of bacon around the corn cob.  Then pull husk over the bacon wrapped cob and tie it with either an extra husk or kitchen twine.   

Place it in the smoker and smoke it at 200 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Serve hot with husk removed and toss the bacon strips out.

The Experiementation:

This is a great recipe and tasted good.  I experimented on this slightly and did not use the salt and pepper before smoking.  But I did use the Bacon, but bacon I Smoke enhanced.  I used strips that where pre-smoked (cold smoked) for 2 hours in a 50/50 blend of Hickory and Mesquite.  When I smoked the corn, I used pecan. The end result was amazing but I am thinking of the following changes.

1) Use only about 2 or 3 layers of husk and toss the remaining husk.
2) Still not Salt and Pepper, I leave that for right before eating.
3) I still will use the Pre-Smoked bacon but will use two strips.
4) I will smoke the cob for 2 hours instead of 1 hour 15 minutes.

Your Experiments:  Please look this over, suggest something different.  Add some Butter to this, Oil.  Chocolate, Sugar...  Oh yeah, on the North East US the local rave of Sweet White Corn (Silver Queen) [Maryland thing I think], my wife and I do not think its sweet as Yellow Corn.  My Wife is one of the few Maryland Born natives that hate Silver Queen.  I am not native, where I come from good eating corn is sweet yellow corn.

I will post my next Experiment on this very soon, I got some Florida yellow corn in the fridge my Sis got from New Jersey this weekend.

So, please help us get some real good eats.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Oldman

QuoteI got some Florida yellow corn in the fridge
I live in Florida... Lordie help ya~~LOL!

I tell what I would try. After removing the bacon and hucks  I would serve the corn with a nice "warmed" thin sliced hot pepper cheese wrapped in a very thin slice of smoked pork (butt) and a splash of "warmed" Mexican salsa layered on the top.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!