Jollof Rice Recipes

Started by Habanero Smoker, January 03, 2010, 02:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Well I finally got this posted and it gave me the opportunity to finally type up these Jollof Rice recipes. Jollof rice is common in most West African countries, but mostly associated with Nigeria. The beginning of this recipe appear to have it's origins among the Wolof people who inhabited the area now known as Senegal and Gambia. Jollof rice is also believed to have been the origin of what is called Red Rice in the South, or Spanish rice in the North.

The recipe varies from country to country, and within regions of a country. The first recipe is my favorite, but by far the hardest of the three, and it may take you a few times to learn how to adjust the liquids to get it to the consistency you like. Basmati white rice will give the dish additional flavor, but substituting Basmati white rice, you may have additional liquid left at the end of the cooking time, so you may have to simmer with the lid off towards the end. Also with Basmati white rice, you want to rinse it a couple of times prior to cooking to remove the outer starch, but do not soak it.

Any of the following recipes can be made vegetarian by eliminating the meat and/or fish, and using vegetable broth or water instead of chicken stock.

Spicy Coconut Chicken and Shrimp Jollof Rice (a Nigerian style)
1 (3.5 – 4 lb.) chicken cut into 10 pieces; excess fat removed
Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 Tbsp garlic salt
4 Tbsp peanut oil

2 red bell peppers, chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, halved, stemmed, and seeded
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped

1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. allspice
2 dried bay leaves
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste

2 (14.5 ounce cans) Coconut milk (you can use light coconut milk)
2 C. long grain rice (Carolina white rice works well, Basmati white rice adds additional flavor)
3/4 C. diced carrots
1 lb medium shrimp (51 – 60 count) deveined, shell and tails removed; if larger shrimp are used, you need to adjust the cooking time.

1 C. fresh or frozen peas (thawed)
   Serves 6 - 8

This dish is generally served with:
Sliced tomato and onion rings
1 (6 ounce) bag fresh baby spinach leaves, steamed
2 hard boiled eggs; quartered

Remove neck and giblets and rinse off chicken, and cut into 10 pieces; (2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 wings (discard tips), and 4 breast quarters), pat dry and place in a large bowl. Add lemon juice; toss and let stand for 5 minutes. Next remove chicken from bowl, drain off any liquid, and pat dry. Generously sprinkle chicken with the garlic salt on both sides, return to bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Mean while, combine red bell pepper, jalapeno, onion and tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Pulse grind to a coarse texture, using a little water if necessary. You will need to do this in two batches. Set aside

In a 6 quart (or larger) Dutch oven or heavy stockpot heat peanut oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot add chicken pieces and cook until golden brown, turning at least once; about 8 – 10 minutes. Depending on size of the pot, you may have to cook the chicken in batches. Transfer chicken to platter and tent foil. Drain oil from pot.

Add the pepper mixture, bay leaves, allspice, turmeric, cayenne pepper (if using), and thyme to the pot, and cook at medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, making sure you deglaze the bottom of the pan. Next add the can of diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.

Add coconut milk and turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir in rice, and let the mixture come to a boil. Stir in carrots and return chicken to pot, reduce heat and continue to simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes. Stir in shrimp, continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until rice is soft, and most of the liquid is absorbed.

Remove the pot from the heat, cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove chicken, stir in peas; return chicken to pot and let set another 5 minutes until peas are heated through. (If necessary place the pot over medium low heat for 2 – 3 minutes, constantly stirring to heat the peas through).

To serve, place one piece of chicken on the plate, and a good serving of rice and shrimp.
Optional; if desired, prior to serving, you can remove meat from the bones, and return boneless chicken to the pot.

Jollof Rice (a Senegal style)
¼ C. Spiced butter; see recipe below (or 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter)
2 Small chicken sausages crumbled (optional)
1 (3.5 – 4 lb.) chicken cut into 10 pieces
6 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp. red shrimp powder (optional – mainly for color)
2 medium red onions, diced
10 tomatoes, chopped or 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
3 jalapenos seeded and ribs removed, finely chopped
Salt to taste

1 ½ C. long grain rice, (Carolina white rice works well, Basmati white rice adds additional flavor)
3 C. chicken stock
4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1 ½ cup fresh or frozen peas (thawed)

Remove neck and giblets and rinse off chicken, and cut into 10 pieces; (2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 wings (discard tips), and 4 breast quarters), pat dry and place in a large bowl.

Melt butter in a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium high heat. When foam subsides add chicken legs, thighs and wings. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, turning chicken once or twice, until skin is deeply browned.

Next add the chicken breast skin side down, if necessary you can remove some of the browned chicken so the breast can be browned. When skin is browned turn and briefly cook on the second side. Remove breast from the pot and transfer to a plate, and return any chicken pieces you may have removed.

Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon sticks, shrimp powder (if using) onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, and salt to taste, and cook until the onions are softened, about 10 – 15 minutes. Stir in the rice and chicken stock and return the chicken breasts to the pot. Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is cooked. Remove the pot from the heat and let sit, covered for 15 minutes.

Remove the cinnamon sticks and stir in the scallions, eggs and peas. Place the pot over medium low heat for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring to cook the eggs and heat the peas through.

Spiced Butter (This is very close to an Ethiopian Spiced Butter called Niter Kebbeh)
1 lb. unsalted butter
½ medium red onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp. fenugreek seed
1 tsp. cardamom seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. ground turmeric
8 basil leaves
   Makes about 1 ½ cups.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. As foam rises to the top, skim and discard it.

Continue cooking, without letting the butter brown, until no more foam appears. Add the rest of the ingredients, and continue to cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from the heat and let stand until the spices have settled. Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Discard solids.

Can be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container for up to three weeks.

Jollof Rice (a Mali style - by far the easiest recipe, but the rice doesn't get the chance to absorb all the flavors)
3 large tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste

2 large onions, one chopped, one sliced
1 chili pepper or ½ tsp. cayenne pepper

¼ C. peanut oil
1 lb. lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 clove garlic, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Diced vegetables or your choice; and/or fresh peas or frozen peas (optional)

2 C. long grain rice, cooked
   Serves 4.

Peel tomatoes and mash well with a fork. Combine with tomato paste and set aside.

Brush onion slices with a tablespoon of oil, then broil in the oven for 3 minutes or until brown (being careful not to burn them).

Use a blender or small food processor to blend the broiled onions and the chili into a paste and set aside.

Add remaining oil into a heavy 12 inch skillet. Over medium heat brown lamb, stirring frequently to brown all sides. Next add chopped onion and fry until golden. Reduce heat to a simmer and add garlic, stir in the tomato sauce, and cook for five minutes. Add the onion/chili paste, along with salt and pepper and about one cup of water

If you are using vegetables, add them now. Stir well and simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes or until the lamb is done. When ready to serve mix in the cooked rice.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seemore

Awesome, Habs!!!!!
Thanks for much for the recipes!
I will have to try them!
Mrs

Habanero Smoker

No problem.

You have posted a lot of recipes I have tried.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MrCucumber

Thank you for the recipe! I usually just boil chicken breasts in this simple way https://club.cooking/recipe/how-to-boil-chicken-breast/and add it to different meals, yesterday I tried this recipe with it, and it also was so good, you can try it!

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the tip. I may try that. I haven't made Jollof Rice in a while. I go through phases where I get into different types of national and international dishes. This is good time, because I'm currently in a phase where I'm into Caribbean and African dishes. I currently have some oxtails thawing out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MrCucumber

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 19, 2019, 01:51:06 PM
I'm currently in a phase where I'm into Caribbean and African dishes. I currently have some oxtails thawing out.

Sounds so tasty! I even decided to cook something Caribbean today  ;D

Edward176

WOW, thank you Hab, it looks fantastic.

SNordstrom

Habanero Smoker

I learned a way to cook these dishes in the oven; with the exception if you want to add shrimp to the rice. The oven method will over cook the shrimp. When using the oven; for parties I can easily double these recipes.  When I get a chance I will describe the method I use.

Right now I'm too involved in one of my other hobbies to post it. I'm an amateur genealogist, and the 1950 US census was just released.  That's like giving someone who is addicted to ice cream free range in a Ben & Jerry shop.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Zekee

Thank you for sharing these Jollof Rice recipes! They look delicious and I'm sure many people will enjoy trying them out. It's interesting to learn about the history and variations of this dish in different West African countries. Speaking of trying out new recipes, have you ever tried making your own Alfredo sauce recipe from scratch? It's surprisingly easy and can take your pasta dishes to the next level. One simple recipe involves melting butter in a pan, then adding heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over your favorite pasta for a decadent and satisfying meal. Just like Jollof Rice, there are many variations of Alfredo sauce, so don't be afraid to experiment and make it your own!

Habanero Smoker

You are welcome.

At first, it can be tricky to keep the rice from becoming sticky. I now use mainly jasmine rice, and I will rinse the rice first. This helps a lot. Rinsing it until the water runs clear. For large batches; such as using four cups of uncooked rice, I will bake that in the oven; but that requires a few changes in the steps of each recipe. Four cups of uncooked rice will fill a half steam pan full of Jollof rice.

I
         don't
                   inhale.