My 1st, 2nd and 3rd smoke, I just couldn't stop myself!

Started by brent1f, January 03, 2010, 05:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brent1f

I have this neighbor who's really into BBQ and smoking which got my wife and I hooked. I got the BDS6 for Xmas, thank you Santa! After seasoning the unit I jumped right in, not without spending a few hours reading this forum for it's great advice.

1st smoke was 2lbs of cheddar cheese. I followed everyones advice and kept the temp low buy running the SG only, unit held between 75 and 85 for one hour. I chose Cherry (because it was the lightest I had). I worked great the cheese is perfect, to rave reviews from the wife, kids and parents.

2ND smoke was the Bradley recipe for Stuffed Pork Loin Roast. Followed the directions, rubbed and placed in fridge over night, made the filling the next morning, stuffed and set out to get to room temp and placed in smoker using Alder. Cooked a 6.25lb roast at 220F for 5.5 hrs till the IT was 160F then FTC'd for an hour and served. The loin was cooked perfectly and tasted great, I did lean one thing though, you need to remove almost all of the rub before you smoke/cook as the paprika can be spicy and form a crust. Well anyway, crust off it was great and will only get better.

3rd smoke was Bradley's Famous Hot Smoked Salmon. Again followed all of the directions, used fresh Atlantic Salmon fillet about 2lbs. Did the whole adjusting of the temp starting low and finishing higher thing, used Alder. Fish came out beautiful, cooked to perfection but was more salty than we liked. I figure it was one of two things, it was in the cure for about 30 hrs while the recipe said 14 to 20 and while I wanted to wash off the cure I was persuaded to leave a little on for the smoke.

Well all in all I can't complain for my first smokes, I'm planning the menu for next weekend and will probably go for a brisket and some ribs. I've read the great recipes on the site and think I'll go with Habenero Smoker's brisket and Tenpoint5's ribs. Which I'm sure will be great. Next time I'll try to remember to take pic's.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice it's much appreciated.  :)

MPTubbs

You threw away the bark??!!!!

In my oppion that's the best part!

Glad your smoke went well and keep it roll'n.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

brent1f

I know can you believe it, I thougt it would be the best part as well but it was to spicey between the cayenne pepper and the paprika it was over the top. You live you learn. Well I pretend to learn anyway.  ;D

Gizmo

Sounds like you are having a great time of it which is the best (other than eating).  Quite an undertaking just out of the gate.  Glad you posted up your results.  Keep them coming.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

HawkeyeSmokes

Just keep notes on it brent1f.

Adjust the spices on your next smoke and you will knock it out of the park!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Mr Walleye

Hi Brent and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you had pretty good success so far. There is always a learning curve and also getting things dialled into your own taste buds takes a few tries.

It's all good though!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

MPTubbs

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on January 03, 2010, 08:17:35 PM
Just keep notes on it brent1f.

Adjust the spices on your next smoke and you will knock it out of the park!  ;D

I do that on every smoke.

Step by step, even weather conditions.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

lumpy

Glad your smokes turned out great and welcome!

Next thing to learn is how to post pictures.

Lumpy

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the forum and sounds like you had some great fun right off the bat!

Congrats.

One benefit of taking pics is that you can use them with your notes to help plan
a better smoke next time.
Take pics even if you don't post them.

Try this link to get your pictures going.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Good smokin and let that smoke roll!

teach

Well done, Sounds like a great range of items to try first.
Hopefully I will be setting up mine for the first smoke this weekend so might try some of what you listed here.

Quarlow

Good on ya Teach, any questions you kmow where to go.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

teach

Quote from: Quarlow on January 04, 2010, 01:13:41 PM
Good on ya Teach, any questions you kmow where to go.

Cheers Quarlow

I am sure I will be in contact.  What did others try as their first project in there digi smoker?

Quarlow

You know the sky is the limit here. Some guys start easy and others jump in with both feet. Just a matter of your comfort level I guess. I still have not done brisket or pork butt and some guys have done them for their first smoke. With so much knowledge on this forum, you just decide what you want to do and then just look it up or ask the questions and you do fine.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Quarlow on January 04, 2010, 01:41:49 PM
I still have not done brisket or pork butt

Q,

You need to get in touch with your inner pork butt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!