Seasoning in my new OBS....Now im hungry...

Started by Sweet35th, January 04, 2010, 11:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet35th

Weather warmed up to nice and comfy 0 F  today so figured was a good time to season my new smoker in per Bradleys instructions.     Was quite surprized how quickly the temps shot up over 200 degrees and I had to back it back down.    I was worried in this weather I would have a hard time getting hotter temps, but I don't think maintaining 250 degrees once its time to get to work will be a problem!  WOOT!

Thing smells so good, I was tempted the throw my subway sub in there for a few min just to get a flavor.  (Lets be honest subway tastes like an old gym sock for the most part)
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

MPTubbs

Once you load the smoker the temp will not gain as fast as if it was empty.

I had the same thoughts as you when I seasoned mine.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Sweet35th

Quote from: mptubbs on January 04, 2010, 12:05:33 PM
Once you load the smoker the temp will not gain as fast as if it was empty.

I had the same thoughts as you when I seasoned mine.

Ahh man, why you gotta be bringing me down like that?
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

MPTubbs

Just trying to keep you from freeking out when the temp stalls. lol ;D

Been there--done that! ;)

Sweet35th

Thats cool.   (well actually very cool outside).     Im pumped to get started making some actual food.    Im really curious to try some ground beef jerky.  I just need to get a jerky gun.  I simply don't have the artistic skill or patience to try and form it by hand LOL.

MPTubbs

Funny you should say that.....I was just looking at those this week-end.

Cabela's had them for like $24.

Just think of all the spices you could add to the burger. :o

NOW your making me hungry!

Sweet35th

Quote from: mptubbs on January 04, 2010, 12:23:10 PM
Funny you should say that.....I was just looking at those this week-end.

Cabela's had them for like $24.

Just think of all the spices you could add to the burger. :o

NOW your making me hungry!

I know.   I was even thinking of trying to marinate it.   Obviously cut the amount of marinate way down, and the exposure time,  but I think it would work out pretty good.   Would really become more of a "flavor additive" than a marinade.   But hey why not?

MPTubbs

Allways remember.....theres no wrong way to smoke.

Some smokes are better than others.

Also write down what you did for that smoke. You can always adjust your recipe and smoking time compared to the last smoke.

Keep the vent open and the smoke roll'n!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sweet35th on January 04, 2010, 12:14:54 PM
   Thats cool.   (well actually very cool outside).     Im pumped to get started making some actual food.    Im really curious to try some ground beef jerky.  I just need to get a jerky gun.  I simply don't have the artistic skill or patience to try and form it by hand LOL.

Easy to make if you dont have the gun.

Use 2 peices of 1/4" x 2" x 18" new paint stir sticks spaced 10" apart, lay marinated meat between the 2 sticks, flatten out some and use a rolling pin sitting on the sticks to flatten the meat to 1/4" thick. Then cut into strips. 

Quarlow

Alright NePaS that is the plan for me. I have some buffalo burger in the freezer that I have been saving to do ground jerky for a first attempt and now I know how to do it. Any ideas as to how I should prep the meat. It will probably need some fat as buffalo I hear is pretty lean.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.