Smoked Oysters

Started by MrsHoss, January 16, 2010, 09:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsHoss

I am thinking smoke oysters are on the menu for next weekend.  Any suggestions?

classicrockgriller

MH, they are on the recipe site for some.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

I've not tryed them yet.

hal4uk

MrsH, I love seafood, but never did like oysters.
However, I've shucked a zillion of 'em.
(I was in the restaurant business for a lot of years)

If I was going to eat oysters, one of the tastiest looking dishes I've seen/made is Oysters Beinville.
We broiled them on the half-shell.  Don't see why it couldn't be adapted to a smoker.

I don't still have the recipe, but I just did a quick google; here'e Emeril's recipe for it:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/oysters-bienville-recipe3/index.html
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

tsquared

Mrshoss--It's really hard to ruin smoked oysters--they're like the boston butt of the seafood world. I prefer them cooked so I take a quart of shucked oysters, drain them and put them in any old marinade/sauce you like for an hour or so.(In a hurry?just baste them with your sauce or dust them with your rub and throw them in the smoker.) Kikkoman makes a spicy miso terriyaki sauce that I favour but it is really personal choice. Preheat your smoker to anything over 210 while the oysters are in the marinade and throw them on for an hour or so, depending on how cooked/dry you prefer your oysters. I like mine cooked through and firmed up a bit, served with a bit of fresh squeezed lime or lemon and a cold IPA or stout to go along with it. Now look what you've done--I'm going to have to stop at the seafood store this pm when I run out to the lumber yard!
Enjoy,
T2

MrsHoss

Quote from: tsquared on January 17, 2010, 12:32:43 PM
Mrshoss--It's really hard to ruin smoked oysters--they're like the boston butt of the seafood world. I prefer them cooked so I take a quart of shucked oysters, drain them and put them in any old marinade/sauce you like for an hour or so.(In a hurry?just baste them with your sauce or dust them with your rub and throw them in the smoker.) Kikkoman makes a spicy miso terriyaki sauce that I favour but it is really personal choice. Preheat your smoker to anything over 210 while the oysters are in the marinade and throw them on for an hour or so, depending on how cooked/dry you prefer your oysters. I like mine cooked through and firmed up a bit, served with a bit of fresh squeezed lime or lemon and a cold IPA or stout to go along with it. Now look what you've done--I'm going to have to stop at the seafood store this pm when I run out to the lumber yard!
Enjoy,
T2

That sounds really good.  I am definately going to try that soon.  Thanks

Roadking

Quote from: hal4uk on January 16, 2010, 10:04:46 PM

Send all the oysters my way. I shuck'm, bread them, then deep fry them. Can't get enough. They are so-o-o good.

hal4uk

Quote from: Roadking on January 17, 2010, 04:53:05 PM
Quote from: hal4uk on January 16, 2010, 10:04:46 PM

Send all the oysters my way. I shuck'm, bread them, then deep fry them. Can't get enough. They are so-o-o good.

Believe it or not...  I'm runnin' kinda low on oysters at the moment...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

SmokinDuramax

do they need cure on them?

Roadking

Quote from: SmokinDuramax on January 20, 2010, 04:07:03 PM

Do yourself a favor and buy this book "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas".

The term "Smoking" on this forum is loosely used. When a product is smoked the cabinet temp. is lower then 170 degrees. You then will need a cure. If the temp. is above then we're not smoking but roasting or baking it with a smoke flavor, usually 190, 200 degrees and above and no cure is required.

SmokinDuramax

Quote from: Roadking on January 20, 2010, 04:16:19 PM
Quote from: SmokinDuramax on January 20, 2010, 04:07:03 PM

Do yourself a favor and buy this book "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas".

The term "Smoking" on this forum is loosely used. When a product is smoked the cabinet temp. is lower then 170 degrees. You then will need a cure. If the temp. is above then we're not smoking but roasting or baking it with a smoke flavor, usually 190, 200 degrees and above and no cure is required.
ok will do ! ty

Roadking

Quote from: SmokinDuramax on January 20, 2010, 04:21:14 PM
Quote from: Roadking on January 20, 2010, 04:16:19 PM

ok will do ! ty
It's a great book, loaded with info and good recipes. Money well spent.