Seasoned my new digital...

Started by smokin65, January 06, 2010, 05:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin65

I pushed all the buttons and everything was a go and it heated up pretty quick (it was about 43 degrees out).  I checked about 30 minutes later and discovered that no biscuits advanced.  So, I started all over and everything went well.  I set it to 150 but digital readout on held pretty steady at 165-167.  Then afterwards I checked the bowl, which had 3 half baked biscuits.....I took the dogs for a walk during the seasoning and could smell the smoke for a couple of blocks.....I loved it. 

Any thoughts on the biscuits only getting about half done? 

I do have a Maverick 73, but haven't used it yet.

Quarlow

Well it could be a few different things. It could be your power source has to many other things on it. Or it could be to light of an extension cord or to long also. Check to see if you have other things on the same circuit and unplug them. You should use as heavy of a cord as possible. I made my own with heavy duty ends and 12ga cord only 15' long. Then I have to run a cord over to my computer so I can plug in the smoker to a clean source. It could also be you didn't preheat the burner before advancing the pucks. However if that was the case then after the first one or two they would start to burn completely. Your pucks won't burn to ash if this is what you were expecting, they will just be all black and slightly smaller than original but if you take one and break in in half it should be black right threw.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Like Q said, sounds like you aren't getting enough juice 9electricity) to the smoker.

Also recheck all the plugs on back of cabinet and make sure they are fully seated.

You may want to plug and unplug them a couple times to make sure they are all the way in.

I turn my puck burner on when I warm up Gabi (my Bradley).

Bringing an empty smoker to a hot temp is gonna be different than putting a cool mass of meat in it.

When you turn your Bradley on the default temp setting is 280. I let mine warm up at that, and stay there after I put

what I am going to smoke in the Bradley. The cabinet temp will drop with the mass of meat you put in it.

When the cabinet temp comes back up to what I want to smoke/cook at then I turn the temp setting down to my desired smoke/cook temp.

Also take your meat that you want to smoke out of the fridge at least 1 hr ahead of putting it in the Bradley.

If it is a pork butt, brisket (large mass of meat) you can safely take it out longer.

I live in what is suppose to be a warm climate (Texas) so I don't use foiled bricks for heat recovery, But on large masses of meat

I do replace the Factory Bowl with a disposible can pan (13x9x2 u can get them at wal-mart) and put hot water in the pan to start with.

Habanero Smoker

Here is a link Bradley Smoker FAQ's, that may help you in the future.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokin65

Thanks all,  I will follow the advice.  I'm putting in an outlet on my deck on Saturday and will check to make sure it's got lot's of juice.  I'm also putting an outside light near my designated smoker area so I won't be fumbling in the dark when I change the water bowl at night. 

classicrockgriller

I live in what is suppose to be a warm climate (Texas) so I don't use foiled bricks for heat recovery, But on large masses of meat

I do replace the Factory Bowl with a disposible can pan (13x9x2 u can get them at wal-mart) and put hot water in the pan to start with.