4 rack vs. 6 rack - pros/cons...?

Started by beyondclarity, January 06, 2010, 08:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beyondclarity

Hey all -

I have the 4 rack and love it.  After recommending Bradleys to a co-worker, she asked whether the 6 rack is any better or worse than the 4.  Does anyone have any opinions on pros/cons of the different smokers?

Also - the pictures on Cabela's website show what is a different smoke generator on the 6 rack than what the 4 rack shows - do these different models actually have a different smoke generator or is the picture incorrect?

Link:  http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat570001-cat20120&id=0041321517303a&navCount=12&podId=0041321&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat20120&hasJS=true

If you click the little image below the main image it switches between the two types.

Thanks a lot!

Troy

KyNola

The two smoke generators are identical.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Everything is the same except the extra space for the two racks.

Smoke generator, heating element, etc.

If you need the capacity, get the six.

I can do ~32lb of pulled pork in mine, so far good for me.

If you want to hang sausage, the six will let you make them longer.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beyondclarity

I'd seen other posts in the past regarding air flow and the bottom couple of racks getting hotter than the top couple of racks - is this issue greater in the 6 rack?

I think some guys went as far as to build in a 3rd party fan to increase hot air flow...

MPTubbs

A fan is a cool add on.

But if you load that baby up you will be rotating the racks for even cooking and then the bottom rack is no big deal.

I use the 2nd or 3rd rack up from the bottom if I'm smoking small loads.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

lumpy

Go for the 6 rack.
Everytime my 4 rack is full to the brill (customized to 7 rack now) I wish I had bought a 6 rack.

Go Big ;D

Lumpy

RAF128

I've got a 6 and I went with it 'cause I wanted extra space.   When I make sausage I only hang them from the top.   IMO keeps them away from the heat source and temps around the sausage is more even.

lumpy

Thats another reason. You can hang longer sausages.

Lumpy