Bison Roast Canuck Style

Started by Crazy Canuck, March 25, 2005, 04:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Canuck

Did not find many threads on Bison so I thought I would pass this recipe on.

5lb Bison Rib Roast (works for elk and moose)
1 package onion soup mix.
2 tbls Lawrys garlic Salt
3/4 lb thick sliced Bacon

Rub package of onion soup mix into roast. Wrap plastic around roast and refrigerate for 24 hours. Wrap in thick sliced bacon and sprinkle with garlic salt. Allow roast to come to room temperature.
Preheat BS to 150 degrees and smoke roast with special blend for three hours. Increase temp to 200 degrees till internal temp of 165 degrees approx 2.5 hours depends on size of roast. (I continue smoking till internal temp is reached) Personal preference.
FTC roast for 1 hour.

Addicted to Smokin[:p][:p][:p]
DanR @ Fort St.John BC

whitetailfan

CC,
Very slick, very simple.  Thank you.
I have never yet to this day (dispite reasonable opportunity) tried bison.  Most often it is a buffalo burger at a local fair, and I dont trust that, or "bison" at a very expensive fancy rest.  What I wanted to try is to get a decent cut of meat and do it myself with instruction.

Most of the elk that we cut up go into cutlets or sausage meat.  Seldom do we bother with steaks or roasts due to the fact that its harder to cook than beef.  My Dad did a nice roast with bacon and "stuffed" with garlic that was pretty good, but its tough to cood with meat that lean.

I'm definitiely going to make a roast out of next years (hopefully) elk and also pick up some buff soon.  There's a guy I know that has a herd and sells the meat, so I can have buff by next weekend.

Low and slow is the key to Q, and its also the key to leaner meats.
Catch you soon eh...

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Thunder Fish

The local butcher shop was clearing out there Bison for around $1.49 a lb.I basically cleaned them out(30-40 lbs)in side the package was a flank roast that I turned into THE BEST JERKY I have EVER had

Crazy Canuck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">THE BEST JERKY I have EVER had<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Have two racks of Bison Jerky on now and two racks of Moose.
Teryaki style smoked with Hickory/Special Blend for two hours.

Cannot make it fast enough.

Addicted to Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR
Fort St. John BC

Thunder Fish

Trade some smoked cheddar for some Bison ? ? ? ? ?..........[:D] [:D] [:D]
<font size="4"></font id="size4"><font color="red"></font id="red">NICE !

Phone Guy

I have a bunch of Bison in the freezer still. I have several roasts but we use more burger than roasts so I thought I would grind some of the roasts, but If this recipe works I think we might be eating roasts. I have a whole bison rib roast in the freezer and some rump roasts and some chuck. My experience with bison is its pretty tough when roasted in the conventional oven. Also 165 degrees is pretty well done isn't it?

JJC

Anybody know of a butcher in the Northeast US that handles bison, elk, moose, etc.?  Alternatively, would cryovac packs of these roasts ship well and taste good?  I'd love to give it a try.

I can get very good ground buffalo meat (4.29/lb regular price, $3.79 on sale once in a while, 92% lean) at my local Stop and Shop, but that's about it.  I use it in ABTs, so I might be able to stake a claim on this Forum at least that I am the only one who truly makes ABTs!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Phone Guy

I get my Bison from a place out of Baker Oregon. Mine is on the hoof when I get it though. I have been able to get two so far. The first was bigger, about 1400 lbs. the second was about 1100 lbs. The total cost of the first was about $2.25 a pound for the 578 pounds of meat the second about $3.50 a pound for 400 pounds. There are only 3 of us at home so I sell half of the meat before I even go. The price can vary as you see. I still have probably 50+ pounds left. Several roasts and some steaks. I plan on smoking a roast soon. I also went to Wyoming for Antelope last Sept. I came home with about 150 pounds of meat. I made jerky a few days ago. I have not bought beef for over two years. I would like to do a briskit though.