Yeah, more smoked cheese ...

Started by ArnieM, January 07, 2010, 03:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

... I guess it's that time of year.  Only a few pics and some comments.

I waited until today and got a balmy 38 degrees in the afternoon.

The candidates get lined up.

Everybody goes into the smoker.  Figured I'd try a block of cream cheese (up there on top).

Four hours of apple.  Surprisingly the cabinet temp was pushing 90; had to open the door a crack to help keep the temp down.

I was also surprised the cream cheese held up well.  The Swiss was starting to melt, on the upper right.

Finally, all bagged up.  This 'hobby' is starting to feel more like work  :-\

Comments:

- The OBS was in the shade and it was pretty breezy.  I didn't figure the cabinet temp would go so high so fast.

- Spray some oil on the racks.  It helps to keep the cheese from sticking.

- Use the top racks.  It's cooler up there.

- I think the max temp should be around 80. 

Now, the waiting begins  >:(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

It does look good. I use my hi temp screens from Yard & Pool, when doing cheese. It gives the cheese more support and I have never had it start to drip like your did. I think it must have been over 90 degrees for it to deform that much. But it all came out looking good. Now the 2 week wait.  ;D

classicrockgriller

Is it ready yet?

I don't think the jack/jalapeno is gonna be any good!

Put it the trash in vac packs and I'll be by tomorrow to pick it up.

Quarlow

Arnie for cheese you definately don't want to rely on the cabinet thermo. You should use your other one.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Quote from: Quarlow on January 07, 2010, 04:48:27 PM
Arnie for cheese you definately don't want to rely on the cabinet thermo. You should use your other one.

Good thought cousin.  I might ask Ka Honu to send me the one he used on his turtle.  :'(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on January 07, 2010, 05:09:53 PM
Quote from: Quarlow on January 07, 2010, 04:48:27 PM

Good thought cousin.  I might ask Ka Honu to send me the one he used on his turtle.  :'(

Now what would that flavor bring to the table?

:D :D
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

Well if he won't send it to ya that would be kind of 0ty. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.