Fresh 'Picnic' Ham Shoulder - Ideas?

Started by ArnieM, January 07, 2010, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I'm sure the cryovac helps.  But, my wife said they had a couple dated Jan 14 and others dated May 14.  That DOES make me wonder. 

So, it'll be pernil this weekend.  I'll open it on Saturday and give it the sniff test.  Assuming it passes, I'll spread on the paste and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  If it doesn't pass, at least I'll have time to go to Plan B  ;)

I appreciate all of your help and comments.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on January 08, 2010, 10:31:47 AM... I'll spread on the paste and let it sit in the fridge overnight. 

Rub it in as much as you can (as the recipe I use says, "into every nook and cranny").

classicrockgriller

Might try this recipe in the pig roaster.

Habanero Smoker

The recipe has not been posted on the recipe site yet.

Here is a link to it on this forum Cuban Style Barbecue Pork . The current modification is that I still slit the shoulder, but I now inject it with 10% brine prior to placing the pork into the brine. I use the same brining times, and cooking method.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

This is ending up not being smoked.  I don't know how to move it to the non-smoked topic.  Sorry.

I decided to go with Pernil using the recipe like Ka Honu provided here:  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/02/dining/021mrex.html?_r=4&pagewanted=print

The original recipe mentioned a 4 pound picnic and mine was 8 pounds.  So I upped the ingredients some, used dried oregano and added a handful of cilantro.  Went with one medium garlic bulb, maybe 10-12 cloves, and two medium onions.

In the FP.

Added the dry ingredients.

The finished 'paste'.

Scored up the picnic.  Now I know why they used that skin for footballs.  Also made quite a few slits on the underside.

Not a job for little Johnny-clean-hands  Rubbed and stuffed in the paste.  Then into the fridge.

Low and slow in the oven tomorrow.

To be continued.

-- Arnie

KevinG

Is that link supposed to go to the New York Times?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

KevinG

Much better, it's interesting I was looking for mustard in the recipe because of the color, but see there is none.

ArnieM

Sorry about the link guys.

I figure on doing it with some traditional Puerto Rican rice and beans.  I wanted to get frozen yucca root too, but my local grocery doesn't have it.  The nearest store thad does is about a 25 mile round trip.  I'll probably skip it.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

OK, end of story.  The pork went into the oven this morning at about 10.  The oven is running about 200F.  Cranked the oven up to about 270 after a few hours and put the probe in.  Finally, the pork was up to about 183 (yeah after the usual stall point).  Went to 400 in the oven for crisping.

Total time, about 7 hours.  Here it is coming out.

I had a difficult time fending off my wife and the cats while it was resting - they seem to have something in common.  Here it is getting hacked.

Anyway, made up the Basmati rice with onion, garlic, cilantro and a bit of lime juice.  Then added the canned black-eyed peas at the end.  My daughter helped out with an avocado, tomato and cilantro salad, lime juice and EVOO.

The finished product.

I cut up the rest of the pork and sent about half home with my daughter.  I kept the other half.  My wife threw what was left of the bone over the stone wall out in back for the critters.  We all share.
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

That looks mighty tasty.

How was the Ham?

KevinG

Awesome job with the ham Arnie - just curious, do you eat the skin you left on? I never tried that before and suspect it wouldn't be edible but wasn't sure.

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 10, 2010, 05:20:53 PM
That looks mighty tasty.

How was the Ham?

The ham was quite good; tasty moist and tender.  It was difficult cutting slices because it was falling apart.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Quote from: KevinG on January 11, 2010, 04:11:40 AM
Awesome job with the ham Arnie - just curious, do you eat the skin you left on? I never tried that before and suspect it wouldn't be edible but wasn't sure.

Yes, you can.  The skin was really thin.  It must have gotten tenderized some during the long cook time with a little crisping added at the end.
-- Arnie