wish me luck! I'm a greenhorn

Started by smokeNcanuck, January 08, 2010, 04:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeNcanuck

I got new Bradley original for christmas from my wife.  All excited, I get ready for some serious smoking.  Not to be...Take smoker outside get all set-up, plug in turn on power, and load up some bisquettes.  All is going well up to this point but this is when things go south.  I push the manual advance button to bring up a disk(bisquette to long to spell) push again to advance another push once again to get first disk to heating element and nothing.  As a side note it is about -6 deg (C as I am in Canada)  Unit is dead,  what a let down!  After a conversation with a very nice and helpful tech @ Bradley( and taking apart the smoke generator) "we"conclude that the smoke generators brain had quit.  So pack up smoker, wipe tears away form my eyes and head inside to wait for replacement part.  Would have been a way worse experience if not for people at Bradley they are great to deal with.  That brings me to today,  I have the new smoke generator and it seems to be working.  I have a brisket marinating in the fridge as I write this, and my neighbors are scheduled to arrive around 4pm tomorrow. I have smoked using a offset barrel smoker before ,but have never attempted a brisket.  If any one has any last minute advise I'll take it, at any rate I'm cooking it and hoping for the best.  I plan to feed them lots of beer before we eat... because everybody knows that beer makes everything taste better!  A long first post I know but I thought I would share my story.  I try and post the results of the first smoke.  It's only going to get up to -8 or something like that tomorrow so I hope heat is not an issue.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

hal4uk

Well..  Good Luck!  And WELCOME to the forum!
Is that Jesse James?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

You should be alright with the temp still. Just keep it out of the wind. Bradleys customer service is second to none. I have not done a brisket yet but someone will be alondg shortly to clue you in. We have some real brisket guru's here so they'll help ya. You should head up to the introduce myself thread and let everyone know who you are. And let me be the first to say welcome to the forum. And don't forget to keep that vent open.

Mesquite-Very strong
Hickory-strong
Oak-strong but not overpowering
Pecan-mild version of Oak
Maple-Mild
Cherry-Mild & fruity
Apple-Mild, fruity with a slight sweetness
Alder-Light with a hint of sweetness
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

Dang you hal you beat me to it. >:( >:(
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum smokeNcanuck!

Keep the vent at least 1/4 open.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Ok I need to get away from the forum for awhile. I didn't even realize I was in the intro section. My bad.
Hey welcome to the forum. I just thought I would start new again.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the Forum.

Take that brisket out of fridge and let it wram up a cple hours before time tou want to start smokin.

Keep the temp up to 260 to 280 when you put the brisket in .

Your Cab temp will drop due to the coolness of a large slab of meat.

When the Cab temp gets back to your cooking temp that you want, Then lower the setting.

After that, change out your water after the smoke phase with clean hot water and drink a cold one.

The Bradley will do it's thing.

Good luck and slow smoke.

smokeNcanuck

Hal4uk, That most certainly is Mr. Jesse James!! and good call. 

Paddlinpaul

Hey fellow Canuck, welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place. I have been here for about 3 weeks and learned more from these fine folks in that time than I could have learned on my own in a couple years. I am in Ottawa, where you located? Where did you get your brisket? I heard they are hard to find up here. They all go to MOntreal for smoked meat I guess.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard and since none of the rest of these knuckleheads can read  ;D ;D "Good Luck"
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeNcanuck

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on January 08, 2010, 06:27:49 PM
Hey fellow Canuck, welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place. I have been here for about 3 weeks and learned more from these fine folks in that time than I could have learned on my own in a couple years. I am in Ottawa, where you located? Where did you get your brisket? I heard they are hard to find up here. They all go to MOntreal for smoked meat I guess.

Hey paul I am in a small town not too far from the shores of Lake Huron called Brussels.  I got my brisket when I bought a 1/4 of canadian AAA prime corn feed beef.  Saved it from becoming hamburger.  I usually use it to make jerky, If you call any local butcher shop they should be able to get one for you.

hal4uk

TP - re-check that first knucklehead's response....
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Hey are you bastards picking on me. ;D ;D I deserved that one. I think I have been unemployed to long. Doh I think I go chase myself or something. ;D

OBS
BBQ

hal4uk

Lordy, Q...  Whatchu drinkin' tonight?
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Doh I wish. This place has been dry for 3 weeks now. I'm starting to feel the effects of blood in my alcohol system.

OBS
BBQ