wish me luck! I'm a greenhorn

Started by smokeNcanuck, January 08, 2010, 04:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

SmokeNcanuck,
See what happens when your waiting for your brisket to cook, things get kind of crazy but they have a good time!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

hal4uk

That's like water in oil... You'll drop a rod if you don't get that flushed out.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Oh I hear ya I am going very easy on the throttle these days. I must be, cause the wife and kids are still talking to me. ;D ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

smokeNcanuck

Well it's 7:30 AM and my brisket has been marinating for about [/img][/img][/img].  I have just finished seasoning the new Bradley and am getting ready to start the brisket. Hear is a pre-smoke pic I will post the results.  But probably not till tomorrow,  will more than likely drink too many beers tonight.  THANKS to all who welcomed me and for any advise! ;D
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

smokeNcanuck

Ok, well I can not figure out how to post a pic.  Anybody want to field that one?(I am way too new!)

Hoss

Try this link for pics.  May help a bit.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

And, it may be a little late, but good luck :)   Welcome to the Forum!
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

smokeNcanuck

Quote from: Hoss on January 09, 2010, 04:52:45 AM
Try this link for pics.  May help a bit.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

And, it may be a little late, but good luck :)   Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks Hoss, Here goes ,

electricshaman

Welcome,  this is a great site.  tons of info and guys and gals who know their stuff.  Quarlow i am trying you dry brine smoked salmon today, along with some ABTS.  I will post some pics later.  It is -20 in Neb this am.  wish me luck.

smokeNcanuck

That's cold.  It is -17C hear right now, good thing I set up smoker in my garage.  What is max temp I should be smoking brisket at?  I can only get seen to get about 220F out of the unit with it cranked on high.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeNcanuck

Ok thanks It's about 217F think I'll just letter rock out for the day.  Do you smoke for the whole time or do you foil?  what is better option for a first timer?

FLBentRider

I only apply four hours of smoke.

Sometimes I leave it it the Bradley, other times I move to the house oven.

I have not used foil on Briskets and butts.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on January 09, 2010, 06:34:39 AM
Ok thanks It's about 217F think I'll just letter rock out for the day.  Do you smoke for the whole time or do you foil?  what is better option for a first timer?

I run my Bradley at around 220 for everything.   I've done butts/briskets both ways - boated in a foil pan and covered, and just by themselves on the rack 'naked'.   Either way produces tasty food. 

You won't get the nice 'bark' if you foil them..   But it wouldn't hurt to put a pan on the rack below it (make sure you are cooking on the middle ones) to catch the drippings for some tasty gravy.  Just put a few glugs of beer/juice/water in the pan so the drippings don't dry out.

smokeNcanuck

I only loaded enough pucks for four hours, so I'll just let it run it's course.  They only reason I might foil it is to make sure it does not dry out.  I guess I will have to just experiment
after all that's the fun!!  Thanks for the help FL, sure glad I got a Bradley and joined this forum(first one I have ever joined).  All the people are GREAT and I have only been a member for a day.  Do you use some sort of blanks to get the last puck off the burner?

Hoss

Search "Bubba Puck" on this forum and you might get more info.
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.