wish me luck! I'm a greenhorn

Started by smokeNcanuck, January 08, 2010, 04:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeNcanuck

Thanks for the link, lots of good stuff on their.  I am a machinist by trade so I made some alu. spacer rings last night.  Just wanted to make sure I was not going to damage anything
and as I saw in viewing your link, now one has reported them causing any damage.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Quarlow

Quote from: electricshaman on January 09, 2010, 05:39:55 AM
Welcome,  this is a great site.  tons of info and guys and gals who know their stuff.  Quarlow i am trying you dry brine smoked salmon today, along with some ABTS.  I will post some pics later.  It is -20 in Neb this am.  wish me luck.
Hey good luck with that salmon.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

smokeNcanuck

After approx 5hrs brisket is at about 168F, I took it out made a foil boat added some liquid and returned to Bradley.  So far I have only had one beer, but cooking always makes me thirsty!
I am hoping to eat in another 4 hrs so hears to seeing 190 on the old thermo,  If not can always have another beer.

smokeNcanuck

Well just to close post everything turned out spectacular :D :D!!  I was very worried about serving my first attempt at a brisket to company, knowing how tricky they can be to cook.
All worries went out the window as soon as I started slicing.  It came out much better than I expected and was most likely the best piece of smoked meat I and everyone else at my island(as the meat never even made it to the table)had ever had.  I shall be getting another one in the near future, I fear that I should have wrote all my ingredients down.  When I get cooking I tend to free style which is fun, but makes it hard to duplicate a recipe. As a side note LOVE the Bradley, smoke'N has never been so easy.  I have used an offset barrel smoker for a few summers now and not sure if I will use it again now that I have the Bradley.  I found the smoke flavor to be very clean tasting and the fact that it looks after it's self is fantastic.
All I have to say is I'm hooked and bring on the MEAT.

Quarlow

Yeah smokeNcanuck Way to go! Glad you had good success.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

electricshaman

Quarlow,  the dry brine recipe for smoked salmon was a hit.  Many thanks.  It was just right.

Quarlow

Good Electricshaman glad it worked out. It's the way we have made ours since I was just a gaffer.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

sNc glad to hear the brisket was a winner.

There won't be any stopping you now!

So waht is the next smoke.?

Remember we like pictures.

Caneyscud

SNC, after consuming possibly hundreds of briskets over my life - or a least more than several, I came to the realization decades ago that there is just nothing quite as good as a smoked brisket - well ribs, fatties, bologna, brats, catfish, salmon, lox, chicken, turkey, cheese, and sausage come close.  Congrates on the first smoke and persevering through the bump in the road!  If you can find a whole one, they are not as tricky.  Also, for comparison, I'd try one "nekkid", only salt, pepper, and some cayenne. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeNcanuck

CRG, whatz up with the new pic?  The smoking monkey was great, made me laugh every time I saw it.
I think I am going to tackle some ribs this coming weekend.  Sorry about the lack of pics of the finished brisket, I was too excited to snap any off...next time I'll get some for sure!

Caneyscud, I'm pretty sure that the next time(which will be sometime really soon) I do a brisket I'll get my mitts on a whole one.  And maybe I'll giver naked style, But I must say that I am a very big fan of sauce.

Quarlow

If you want to know what is up with CRG's new pic just stay tune for the rest of the day. It will be pretty obvious later on. ;D ;D ;D Sonny you are truly evil. ;) ;)

OBS
BBQ

KevinG

Either Hal's gone mad or CRG has.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby