Repetitive Questions

Started by smokin65, January 06, 2010, 08:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin65

I've looked over the forum and read with great interest all the various recipes for smoking/cooking stuff.  But, now that I'm actually going to be doing my first smoke I've got questions.  We bought a brisket and put it in the freezer before I even thought about getting my BDS.  It's a 5.5lb choice cut from Costco and looks well trimmed.  I'm planning on using the WTS rub.  My questions are:

The overall length of time to cook/smoke the brisket.  I'm planning on using mesquite (maybe blend with apple) for 2-3 hours then finish off in the BDS.  It looks like I should plan on cooking at 220 for approx 8 and half hours.  I realize the time can vary based on the internal temp, which I'll be monitoring with my Maverick 73.  But I see where some (including WTS) use the smoke for a portion, then the oven for a time, then put it in their house oven for even longer. Why would you finish in the house oven instead of the Bradley?  Then, when it reaches 190 FTC it for an hour plus.  I figure it will continue to cook while in FTC mode, so will that over cook the cut of meat?

Sorry for all the questions, I thought after doing all my reading on the forum that I had all the answers, but I guess I'm a bit gun-shy.

Am I on the right track timing wise?

classicrockgriller

I haven't ever used the oven yet, but after the smoke period, that's really all the Bradley becomes.

Maybe they don't want to wear out the Bradley.

Maybe they want their house to smell good.

Maybe they feel like they get a more even cook with the oven.

As far as FTC at 190. Will it still cook, yes.

How much! Depends on how far you go in the FTC.

The Foil will allow you to have the brisket sit in the juices it releases and suck them back up as it cools.

If you want a finished IT of 190, then FTC a little early like 185.

Ka Honu

Some of the "pros" will weigh in but to get you started...

Generally I smoke a brisket for 4 hours at about 200-225o, then continue at that temp until I get the desired IT (190-195o).  After the smoke, it's purely a personal preference whether you continue in the Bradley or move to the oven.  Total time usually runs about 1.5 hours per pound (but the cardinal rule is "When it's done, it's done.").

I usually use the house oven simply because it's more convenient and I feel I can maintain a moist environment and steady oven temp more easily (until I get a PID someday to manage temperature in the Bradley).  People who prefer a "firm" bark generally use the smoker for the whole cook (see Pachanga's recipes & tutorial here).

If you pull the brisket at 190o IT and FTC it (with a splash of liquid) for a couple of hours, it shouldn't overcook, just get more tender and reabsorb some moisture.

smokin65

Thanks for the help............I'll let you know when I do the smoke and how it comes out.

FLBentRider

Quote from: smokin65 on January 06, 2010, 08:06:29 PM
The overall length of time to cook/smoke the brisket.  I'm planning on using mesquite (maybe blend with apple) for 2-3 hours then finish off in the BDS.  It looks like I should plan on cooking at 220 for approx 8 and half hours.  I realize the time can vary based on the internal temp, which I'll be monitoring with my Maverick 73.  But I see where some (including WTS) use the smoke for a portion, then the oven for a time, then put it in their house oven for even longer.

I usually smoke a brisket with four hours of smoke and then continue to cook another 12-16 hours or so @205F.

Why would you finish in the house oven instead of the Bradley?
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't - it depends.

Sometimes I have something else to put in the bradley.

There will be less mess on the V-Tray.

It makes the house smell GREAT

Then, when it reaches 190 FTC it for an hour plus.  I figure it will continue to cook while in FTC mode, so will that over cook the cut of meat?

You _can_ over cook a brisket, but it is not easy. I have seen briskets go 24 hours plus.
I have also FTC'd for 4-5 hours if need be.

Sorry for all the questions, I thought after doing all my reading on the forum that I had all the answers, but I guess I'm a bit gun-shy.

Am I on the right track timing wise?

Ask away!

You didn't say how big the brisket was, but off the cuff I'd say you are a little short on your time. I would go longer.

The last brisket(8lb) I did I put in @3pm, for hours of smoke @205F. I FTC'd it at 8:30AM the next morning - I didn't bother to take the temp since I was leaving for the football game weather it was done or not.

It was perfect.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokin65

Dang, my electrician called and said he can't do the work for me until Sunday morning.  I decided, well, I've got the brisket ready to go, it's rubbed, slathered, wrapped in the fridge.  So, since it's been pouring rain I run my extension cord (20ft....I know, I know) to my covered area on my deck.  I set the alarm for 5am, get up, take the meat out of the fridge, preheat the BDS and brew a pot of coffee.  All the preheat functions work, I wanted to set the timer for 11 hours, but can only go as far as 9 hours 40 minutes.  I put in my pucks (mesq/hickory combo) set the smoker for 3 hours.  I go back to bed and slept till 8:30.  The pucks have been moving so that's a good sign, the oven is up to temp. 

After the 3 hours I take the bowl with the pucks out, they were not completely burned as they should have....I think it's probably the extension cord, but they are all charred and I can tell it was probably more like 2 hours of good smoke rather than 3, but I'll settle for that on the first one until I get my deck wired properly.  I reset the oven time to cover the time I originally wanted.  The Maverick ET73 is working fine.

It's now 10:15, the BDS is reading 218, the Maverick is reading 222, so pretty close. After 4 hours of cooking the meat IT is reading 160, so everything seems on track. I'll report when it's done.

Thanks for all the tips and help.

classicrockgriller

Sounds like you are on track.

RAF128

Quote from: smokin65 on January 09, 2010, 10:21:07 AM
After the 3 hours I take the bowl with the pucks out, they were not completely burned as they should have....I think it's probably the extension cord, but they are all charred and I can tell it was probably more like 2 hours of good smoke rather than 3, but I'll settle for that on the first one until I get my deck wired properly. 

Partially burned puck is problem common to Digital smokers IMO.    I've got a 6 tray and it's plugged directly into a wall outlet.    I've also got an OBS and run it out side in summer with a 20 - 30 extension cord and pucks are all completely burned.   Others have reported same thing.

smokin65

The meat is lookin good (and smells great too!).  So here I am, 6 hours into the cooking and the IT is now 182, cooking at 220 and the Mav73 is indicating a +2 to +4 degree difference from the BDS.  I was planning on pulling the meat at 190 then FTC for a couple of hours.  But now, it looks like the meat will be done about 3 hours sooner than I planned. How long can it stay in FTC mode?  Dinner was planned for 6pm.  I'm thinking of turning down the heat to 200 till the finish......

Thoughts please.

Rick

classicrockgriller

Rick, dble foil it, wrap in two towel, put in the microwave (if you don't need to use it) or a cooler that is room temp and it will stay 4 to 5 hrs.

smokin65

Slather/Rub

Into the BDS at 6:00am

Reached 190 at 3:15pm - Total 9 hours

smokin65

OMG, I can't believe how good the brisket came out, I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of the sliced meat, but trust me, it was cut with a fork tender, juicy and delicious.  If my wife thought I was a little nuts about wanting to smoke she is a full convert now, she loved it as did our neighbors.  My neighbors can be brutally honest and they claimed it was the best brisket they've ever had (smoked or otherwise).  They all wanted to know "what's next?"

Thanks again for everyone for walking me through the process step by step, this forum has tons of information.

classicrockgriller

That's what we like to hear, great food and new believers!

And shame on you for not taking pics of a prize moments. ;D

You did it, great job!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!