Is 12 hrs enough time for a 9.37# pork butt and Oven temps

Started by canyonman, January 09, 2010, 06:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canyonman

1-09-2010
OK, here is the deal.  My wife got me a BDS4 for Xmas.  God, I love that woman!!!!  My son is already calling it, "One Bad Doggie" (he is 4 yo).  I have already smoked ribs, brisket, and chicken breasts.  Tonight I'm going to try a 9.37# Bone-in Pork shoulder/butt to make pulled pork with.  I live at 6975 ft.  The forecast says clear skys, wind at 7 to 10 mph, humidity at 50 to 34%, low of 18*F and high of 25*F.  Tomorrow 7am to noon - clear skys, wind 5 to 8 mph, humidity at 23 to 33%, low of 21*F and high of 45*F.  I plan on having it ready to eat at noon for the football games.  I think 12 hrs is enough time but please let me know if it's not.  Thanks.
     Interesting note:
I have a Maverick E-7 and used it to check the readings the BDS was showing.  1st I made sure the Maverick was properly calibrated using boiling water and Ice water tests - it passed.  Here are the readings I got.  All measurements taken in *F.
        Oven set at 200*F
     Maverick         BDS
         212    low    189
         264    high   212 
         212    low    189
         263    high   212
       Oven set at 180*F
         187    low    169
         231    high   198
         187    low    169
As you can see there was a 40 to 50 *F swing.  Now I must let everyone know I did this with both the smoke generator and the Oven on.  There was no water in the water pan and the vent was only open ~ 1/16".  There was no load (food) in the BDS either.
     I would strongly suggest to all new BDS owners (like me) to invest in a digital meat probe that can be used to measure the tower temps.  This is the only way you will know the true temp of the tower.  Now that I have the temp differences I can compensate accordingly.  IE. if I want to smoke/cook something at 200*F I will set the BDS to 180*F.   

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum canyonman !

I would think 18 to 20 hours for a butt that size would be pretty close. Better to start early and FTC it than getting it done late. I'm sure others with more experience will help out to.

Check out the recipe site. Old's Place
HawkeyeSmokes

canyonman

Thanks HawkeyeSmokes for your advice.  I will start warming up the BDS right now.  It's 7:15pm at my house.  Thanks again!!

Tiny Tim

Was there anything in the smoker when you took those temps?  The disparity between the smoker and Maverick could be due to sensor/probe position, especially if your probe was more to the middle or front of the tower (sensor is on back wall).  As for high/low difference, if the smoker was empty or had a "cold load" in it, the heat could take a while to get to the sensor, resulting in higher/lower temps in the sensor area of the cabinet, and slower response time.

Just for comparison, you can put your remote probe in your kitchen oven set to 200, and there will probably be about a 20 degree swing in there.

KyNola

Canyonman,
You MIGHT have that butt done in 12 hours but then again you might not.  Here's what I would do if I were you.  Plan on 14-16 hours and if it is done early double wrap the butt in foil, wrap in a towel and put it in an empty cooler(FTC) or an empty microwave(don't turn the microwave on!).  It will hold nice and warm for 4-6 hours hours.  Also, open that vent at least 1/4 open.  I would open it 1/2 open.  If you have not done a butt before here is something you need to know.  Somewhere between an IT 0f 145-160, the IT is going to stall for 2-4 hours.  That's exactly what you want it to do.  Don't bump the oven temp up.

Last info for you.  Preheat your BDS prior to the smoking period.  Run the temp in the tower up to 270 or so if possible.  When you open the door and put in a 9 pound piece of cold meat the temp is going to drop like a rock.  When the heat comes back up, adjust your settings accordingly.

canyonman

Tiny Tim,  There was nothing in the smoker it was in the condition I stated above.  The Mavrick was hung from the center rack about one inch parallel to it just beneath where the meat will be placed.  I have already done the oven thing and it was fun to watch those swings! :D  Thankyou for your response I just wanted to know what my smoker was actually running at where the meat is going to be.  I'll watch the temps once I get a load in it.  I'm sure it will help.
  Thanks again.

canyonman

KnNola,  I will head your advice and get it going ASAP.  I just want to say thank you to all of the members who respond to my post.  You guys and girls have made cooking with a new BDS a lot less of a challenge.  Now I got to get that BUTT in! ;D
Canyonman

Tiny Tim

No problem, Canyon....that's what we do here, help each other out. :) 

Looks like you're a fireman from the pic over there under your name...am I right?

KyNola

My pleasure Canyonman.  As TT said, that's what we do here!  Now...get your butt in that Bradley!

KyNola

Did you rub your butt? :D

canyonman

Tiny Tim,
yep, I'm a fireman and a paramedic.  I'm not trying to brag i just like that pic. I think I will smoke the butt at 200 to 210.  What do you guys think?

Tiny Tim

What do I think?  I don't think you're bragging, it's a great profession.  I help with our Volunteer Department here (mainly do reports, but do have a light and get to go on the calls and help where I can).

Oh, you meant about the temp...yeah, I think I'd go between 210 and 220 though, but that's me.

Paddlinpaul

Good luck with that butt. I'm sure it will turn out. You are in good hands here.

Paramedics are seen as heroes in these parts lately. Last week we had a police officer stabbed to death while writing reports outside of a hospital. 4 very courageous paramedics jumped in, 2 subdued the attacker and held him until backups arrived while the other 2 attempted to save the officer. As a brother of a policeman on the same force I can't tell you the additional gratitude and respect your profession earned on that terrible night. The paramedics marched right behind the local police force ahead of the rest of the police forces who participated in the procession of over 4,000 law enforcement personnel.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

canyonman

I know you have heard this before but I just do my job and sometimes it requires me to do things out of the ordinary.  I don't consider myself a hero because my wife owns that title.  Thank you for your support.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: canyonman on January 09, 2010, 07:27:39 PM
I know you have heard this before but I just do my job and sometimes it requires me to do things out of the ordinary.  I don't consider myself a hero because my wife owns that title.  Thank you for your support.

Where are you?

My nephew is a paramedic for LAFD

canyonman

I work for a mid size department in Colorado.  Sorry I don't want to get to specific because believe it or not I could get in trouble for representing my department without permission.  Crazy huh!!  Any ways my department has 20 stations 20 engines, 7 trucks, 3 rescue squads, HAZMAT rig, heavy rescue rig, and 3 battalions chiefs per shift.  We serve 450,000 people and are at the forefront of emergency medicine.  Sorry, now that is bragging. ;D  I just love my job and what I do.  I grew up in California and its great that your nephew is working for the LAFD.  Thanks for the reply/question.