Is 12 hrs enough time for a 9.37# pork butt and Oven temps

Started by canyonman, January 09, 2010, 06:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canyonman

OK!  I would like to send my apologies to everyone on some misleading information I wrote at the beginning of this post.  The temp checks I did would lead people to believe the BDS has huge temp swings.  It dose have temp swings like your house oven but not as bad as I 1st posted.  Here are some new numbers with a 9.37# pork butt, water, and pucks smoking.
     Oven temp set at 200
Maverick        BDS
212      high    200
181      low     180
209      high    200
181      low     182
213      high    200
184      low     176
214      high    200
182      low     178
216      high    200
That was taken over 2 hrs time
So the BDS seems to be fairly accurate with it temp readings.  The swings are a bit large ~ 30*F but I think that might close as the meat heats up.

classicrockgriller

canyonman, welcome to the forum. Lived in the springs many moons ago.

Have hiked pikes peek numerous times and woke up to see the sun rise in

the "Garden of the Gods" Is the monastery still there?

I have a DBS and you have to remember that the Bradley probe is fixed, stuck in the wall.

And you have a portable probe in the maverick.

And you are right as the mass of meat heats up, the temps get closer together.

Looking forward to seeing your smokes and the thoughts of your friends at the station.

Be safe and get to smokin.

classicrockgriller

canyonman

Thanks.  I think I have it figured out.  Here we go again.
Precook

Temp outside

"One Bad Doggie"

Meat in its new home, for now ;D

Baby got back!

My modified Maverick E-7.  She aint pretty but she gets the job done!

canyonman

I'm about 4.5 hours into the smoke.  Should I rotate and flip?  Should I baste?  I know to pull out at fork tender but what temp do you think is good to check that at 185,190,195?

classicrockgriller

Just took my last butt off and I took it to 200*

Here in Texas that is melt in your mouth pulled pork.

IMO at least 190* then somewhwere in between that and 200*

really don't know what the altitude does to smokin/cookin.

I know when I moved there it took me two weeks to get use to it.

canyonman

classicrockgriller

I take pics of bologna sandwiches I make. ;D

I will post you a link.

canyonman

0200 hrs and that's 5.5 hours smoke/cook time.  I took out spent pucks, filled the water pan, then turned and basted the butt.  My Maverick let me know the temp in the tower was getting above 220 F so I turned the temp set down to 190.  Thank got for the Maverick.

classicrockgriller

I'm not pickin, just tryin to help.

Your IT probe is not deep enough.

You want it to reach the center of the meat without touching a bone or a fat pocket.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Cannyonman;

Welcome to the forum.

I just want to make sure how you checked the accuracy of your Maverick, since you didn't say what temperature the water boiled at.

For your altitude (6975) and assuming the barometric pressure was 29.92 inHg, the water should have boiled at 198°F. If the Maverick reported it boiled at 212°F, then it is way off.

Here is a useful link. If you have the barometric pressure you improve your accuracy. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to the calculator.
Boiling Point Calculator

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

canyonman

Good point.  I did check the accuracy with the temp for my elevation and pressure.  It was around 199.8 F at the time I checked the Maverick.  The Maverick was ~ 2 degrees hotter but I did not use distilled water so maybe that is a factor.  Anyways It's within the 3 to 4 +/- Maverick states for there probes.  I also did the ice and water test before I checked my Bradley.  So to my knowledge the Maverick is reading correctly.  After smoking/cooking the Butt I found the Bradley to be fairly accurate.  It was reading ~ 10 degrees less than the Maverick but the Bradley sensor is on the back wall and my probe was hanging ~ 1" below the center of the meat.  All and all I jumped the gun when I did a test on the Bradley with no load or water in it.  The lesson I learned was an oven is going to have swings and I just didn't notice it before because I had no was of watching the temps in real time like I can now with the Maverick.  I have an analog oven thermometer in the Bradley also just to see what it would read and it seemed to stay right around 200 ever time I checked.  It is not as sensitive and it takes longer to register higher or lower temps.  So it dose not have enough time at a higher or lower temperature to change its reading.  Sometimes low tech is best.  Thanks for your reply. 

canyonman

Thanks.  I think the angle of that picture makes the probe look like its not as far in as it is.  I did go out and check after your post and the tip as far as I can tell was in the center of the meat.  Thanks for your help.