maverick et73 mod -thanks LilSmoker

Started by GusRobin, January 09, 2010, 07:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

I could get decent reception with the et73 when I had a good line of sight. With the transmitter in the garage, I received intermitent reception in the living room. Just did the mod and I can now receive excellent reception anywhere in the house, upstairs or down. Haven't checked what the reception limits are, but I am satisfied with the reception in the house, anything else will be a bonus.
LilSmoker - thanks for the great directions that even I could follow. This was the first thing I ever soldered ( not counting the 4 or 5 practice tries on an old circuit card that I did before getting the courage to try it on the maverick card.) Thanks again.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

I want to do mine, but like you I would hate to screw it up.

Was it really that easy to do?

GusRobin

I had never soldered anything in my life before this. I bought a relatively cheap solder iron at radio shack (25 watt), and 20 awg wire. The post said to use 22-18 awg so I split the difference and used 20 awg. I got an old circuit board from an old computer and practiced. The things that made it easier was to strip the wire and tin the lead. (put solder on the wire bare end.) and to line up the wire on the 3 pads and I used a clothespin to hold it in place. Used thin solder. Took a deep breath and gave it a shot. Worked fine. I guess I calmed my nerves by figuring the worst case I would be out $40 for a new maverick. The benefit was worth the risk.  Good luck if you try to do it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

classicrockgriller

Thanks GR.

"My" puter is in the den and the Laundry room is between me (sitting on the puter) and Gabi (my Bradley).

If something is running in there (laundry room) I get mixed signals.

GusRobin

don't know if the mod will solve your problem. It worked for me. Between adding the second element and doing this mod, I am 2 for 2. (Knock on wood.) Next project is to build a cart to enclose the OBS, cold smoke box and generator so I can keep them permanently hooked up. It will be covered so Ii can smoke in the rain. But I need to wait untiil the temperature is a bit warmer.

classicrockgriller

I ordered the new Auber dual probe, but it is not remote.

GusRobin

unfortunately I got mine a few weeks before christmas so I'll have to live with the old one. Biut since I like the remote feature of the maverick I would probably use it anyway.

classicrockgriller

The auber is not either, but I can't sit still very long so I like to look at Gabi doin her job and a fine job she does.

I took her to the deer camp this year and she rode in the front seat and of course she had her seat belt on.

She sure smelt good.