Anyone willing to help the tard? Got all my stuff and don't know what to do...

Started by danattherock, January 09, 2010, 10:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danattherock

Let me preface this post with an apology. Even I can see the board is loaded with newbie questions and I hate to contribute another. I got on this forum this past summer, got all excited, ordered all the right equipment, etc.. My problem, I work out of state on Nantucket. I get home to North Carolina every 3 months for a few weeks. I had bought this smoking gear so when I got home last (September) I could start smoking. Some of the gear didn't arrive on time. I was up in Alaska fly fishing for a week. Only had about ten days at home total and never got to use my shiny new smoker. So now I am back to square one. Driving home Thursday. But this time, all the equipment is in the garage waiting on me and I have 18 days at home with nothing planned. Well, nothing but smoking if God will allow it. I have the stainless OBS, 60 pack (variety bisquettes) x2, three bubba pucks, Maverick 73 thermometer, and the plug and play temp controller from Auber. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all these new toys. I have never even seen a smoker in action sadly. I am the guy that cooks new york strips on the grill every weekend. I cook a mean steak, but that is about all I know about cooking. Reading over the site tonight got so many questions stirring.

How do I hook up the PID to the Bradely?

Do I use a drip pan, put the meat on foil, or leave bare meat on the rack?

Do I go by the temp on the OBS at all or just go by what the Maverick says?

How will I know when the meat is done?

Is it safe to leave it unattended?

Will it melt the paint off my garage floor?

Will it burn the wood porch floor if I smoke on the screened porch?

Do I keep the Bradely clean after use or "season" it?

I know this all is simple to you guys, but I am scared to death ???

Also, if anyone is feeling particularly patient, could you suggest a simple recipe for boston butt and ribs? I am wanting to do both at least twice while I am home. Honestly, the thought of pulled pork sandwiches is why I got this smoker. Also, baby back ribs are a favorite of the wife. I refuse to boil them in vinegar and such, so we only eat them in restaurants. I want to learn how to properly smoke a boston butt and make some ribs.

If nobody replies, I understand :-\
"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask"

HawkeyeSmokes

Which Bradley do you have? If it's a digital, you plug the PID in to the outlet, and then plug the Bradley into the PID.

Use a temp probe to tell when the meat is done. That is the only way to tell when smoking.

Yes, it is safe to walk away.

After using, clean the V Tray and any racks used plus the water bowl. That's all!!

HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

#1 it is plug n play follow the directions.

#2 you can use a drip pan if you want to make something out of the dripping,
if not the v tray will divert it into the water bowl.

#3 Maverick

#4 By the IT internal temp (the degree that is safe and the way you like your smoke cooked.)

#5 No! you have an duty to stay on site and drink many adult beverages. (yes after you get the feel for your smoker)

#6 No, when you touch the bradley outside box, you will hardly know it is hot on the inside.
I would put a catch cardboard, towel in front in case you get your smoke too close to the front of the racks and it drips out the front door.

#7 NO, same as #6

#8 You clean all removable parts. leave walls, doors, seasoned.
Do wipe the mag gasket and the top vent.

A couple links for you.

recipe site: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

FAQ
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481

I am sure other will chime in and help.

Like it has been said a thousand times, there is no stupid question, the stupid part is not asking the question.

PS, Welcome to the forum.

danattherock

danattherock

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 09, 2010, 10:40:41 PM
Like it has been said a thousand times, there is no stupid question, the stupid part is not asking the question.

I appreciate that :)

I am reading the links now and thank you for sharing them.

Oh, 10-4 on the adult beverages. ha ha...

hal4uk

Welcome to the forum DTR...

That Smokin' Monkey (ClassicRockGriller) told ya good...
He smoked some of the purdiest pork butts you will ever see today.

And like he said... there ain't any stupid questions here.
I've been eating hickory smoked BBQ since before I was even born, and I learn something new here every day.

I also learn something that's the same thing here every day:
There's a LOT of nice folks here.

Ohhh.. they're crazy as ematiated bats.  But they're nice  ;D
One is even amphibious... It takes all kinds.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Quote from: hal4uk on January 09, 2010, 11:18:27 PM
Welcome to the forum DTR...

That Smokin' Monkey (ClassicRockGriller) told ya good...
He smoked some of the purdiest pork butts you will ever see today.

And like he said... there ain't any stupid questions here.
I've been eating hickory smoked BBQ since before I was even born, and I learn something new here every day.

I also learn something that's the same thing here every day:
There's a LOT of nice folks here.

Ohhh.. they're crazy as ematiated bats.  But they're nice  ;D
One is even amphibious... It takes all kinds.

I am gettin to the point where I actually understand you.

Geez, I am a sic Monkey!

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

danattherock

In several recipes, including some for boston butts, I see where folks wrap the meat after it is cooked to the proper internal temp and put in a cooler for 1-2 hours. Why?

Example...

"When the pork loin reaches 155° F., remove it from the heat, wrap it in foil, then wrap in a towel and place in a cooler for at least 1-2 hours."

Toker

Welcome to this great forum!

We call it FTC foil towel cooler, you foil it place it under layer of tick towels and place the towels inside an empty cooler NOT previously cooled. It is use to rest the meat and to evenly distribute the meat juice inside of the meat. It's the final touch add tenderness of the meat.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: toker on January 10, 2010, 12:43:06 AM
Welcome to this great forum!

We call it FTC foil towel cooler, you foil it place it under layer of tick towels and place the towels inside an empty cooler NOT previously cooled. It is use to rest the meat and to evenly distribute the meat juice inside of the meat. It's the final touch add tenderness of the meat.

toker has you covered.

Might add that FTC does add cook time to your meat. On a large mass of meat (Butt) if it is done fast and properly, it

can add 4 to 8 degrees to the IT. So you do have to take this into consideration.

danattherock

Thanks Toker! I do appreciate it. You actually answered two questions for me at once. I had seen FTC and wondered what it meant, but was hesitant to ask. Thank you. Do you really let it sit for 1-2 hours? That seems like a long time. Guess by being in the cooler it is still warm after the 1-2 hours. So dinner time is really the cooking time, plus 1-2 hours? Is this done with only certain types of meat? Pork shoulders, baby back ribs, pork tenderloin, for example? These are on my list of things to smoke in the coming weeks. Thanks for your patience and guidance.

danattherock

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 10, 2010, 12:50:33 AM

Might add that FTC does add cook time to your meat. On a large mass of meat (Butt) if it is done fast and properly, it

can add 4 to 8 degrees to the IT. So you do have to take this into consideration.

Good point. Wow! It adds up to 8 degrees? Man, I am surprised to hear that. So if internal temp (IT you call it, ha ha..) is to be 160, I should bring it off at around 155 if doing the FTC method?

BTW, thanks again for the links. I printed off about 50 pages of recipes:)

I don't have internet back home in NC since I am only there for about 2.5 months per year at present, so printing stuff off will give me a chance at success when I get home and put all my stuff together. Sadly, I am lost without the internet.

classicrockgriller

Correct!

I was totally intimidated about cooking "Big Meats" (Briskets, Pork butts) in the Bradley.

But because of low and slow you can make a mistake or two and no one knows but you.

On the thinner meats, ribs, pork tenderloins, some red meats, you have to be dialed in from the start.

Toker

FTC is generally use to keep the food warm until you are ready to serve it if you end cooking it earlier than you expect.

As far as how long to FTC it example; you cook until the internal temp is 170f you could FTC it until the internal temp goes down as 140F that is what we call the danger zone no matter how long and no matter the type of meat. It can stay warm much longer than 1-2 hours when FTC. Of course if you want to serve it before it goes down to 140 its up to you but the 140 internal seems to be the safest degree that you should keep it to after you get into the danger zone. The danger zone is from 40 to 140F I learned it here in this great forum.