Anyone willing to help the tard? Got all my stuff and don't know what to do...

Started by danattherock, January 09, 2010, 10:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danattherock

Say I am doing a butt this weekend. After 10 plus hours I am very well hydrated and happy. I want the IT at 190, I take it out at 183-185, do the FTC, then let it rest. I just need to check it a bit and serve the meat (or put in fridge) while the meat is in the 150-160 range to error on the side of caution. If this is so, seems like 1-2 hours of FTC could be a bit too much depending on ambient air temps. Any thoughts appreciated. You guys/gals have no idea how much I appreciate the help. Thanks!
"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask"

Toker

I don't think it is too much like i said you could keep it FTC until it goes down to 140 once i let it cool 5 hours without any problem at all. In my opinion, it is only too much if you let it cool cooler than 140F don't be afraid. But like i said if you want only 1-2 hours it's up to you.

Toker

If you want to, you can keep a prob attached to the meat through the foil and towel to monitor the degrees to tell you when taking it out of the FTC.

classicrockgriller

First I would want a butt for pulled pork to be closer to 195 to 200.

That is based on a cook temp of 220 to 230.

A butt is easier to pull when it is warm. Break the bark away and set it aside.

Pull your pork and shred. Then chop your bark and mix with the pulled pork.

Then frige it and re warm in oven on low temp till warm.

When I FTC, the ambient temp inside my house is usually around 70*

Don't FTC outside and expect temp to rise on your cooked meat.

danattherock

I can't see the forest for the trees ::)

Of course I would put the cooler in the house. What was I thinking? That is why I was thinking it would cool so fast and get below 140. Being that it is around 20 outside back home at night, I was making it hard on myself. In the house, I can see where it would maintain it's IT much longer. Ok, so I cook this puppy to 195-200 IT, then FTC for up to 4-5 hours? I like the idea of keeping the temp probe in the meat while FTC. Very smart. That is why I am here. To learn. Thanks guys.

One thing, roughly what size boston butt should I buy? I have never seen one. Stop laughing. Seriously, 5 lb, 7 lb, 9+ lb, etc.. I would like to feed 6-8 people two good sized sandwiches each. Typical stuff, pulled pork sandwich with slaw and some sauce, fries on the side perhaps. I don't have a clue how big of a butt I would need. However, I do realize how big of an ass I sound like. Ha ha.. I won't be this stupid for long, I promise.

danattherock

One more question for anyone feeling particularly nice today...

I read in several of the recipes for boston butts, that folks cook, sorry... smoke the butts at around 200-210 degrees for a good while, maybe 6 hours or more. Of that, sounds like the first 4 hours (12 briquettes) are actual smoking time. Then some recipes call for taking the temp up to nearly 300 degrees. My memory is faint on what I read months back, but does the original Bradely smoker go that high? Seems I had read that it would go in the 225-250 range tops. Just curious how I would be able to follow these recipes. I am sure I am the problem, but wanted to double check to be sure the smoker would cook/smoke at temps that high.

Thanks again

Toker

In my area my butcher sells 8-10 lbs butts. Anyway leftovers are always better the next day.  :D

classicrockgriller

You will have about 20% shrinkage in a Butt that is smoked.

1/3lb sandwich is a hunk! Use that as a guide.

2/3 per person x 8 x 1.20 (7 to 9 lb Butt) (that should give you some to give away or eat later)

you can serve on dinner rolls and use less pork.

depends on adult beverages, what you serve before sandwiches, and what you are serving with sandwiches.

danattherock

Awesome!

Thanks again for you time and thoughts this morning. You have been most helpful.

Wow. Just did some quick math. If I am doing this right...

9 lb butt shrinks 20% leaving 7.2 lb

7.2 divided by 0.25 (1/4 lb sandwiches) makes 28 sandwiches

That would be 2 each for 14 folk.

That is a lot of meat :o

Toker

Personally i would go higher than what you said maybe 220 all the way low and slow=tenderness. Also expect a lllooonnnggg cooking period maybe 20h a bit less but not much and like i said, left over are always better next day mine never last more than 3 days and we are never more than 3 to eat this amount.

danattherock

Ok, 20 hours? So you guys are setting these things up and cooking overnight I take it. I thought 11-14 hours was a long time. Remember, I am a steaks on the grill guy. Man, that is a long time. I am game, just want to know how to do it properly. So you are saying set the cabinet temp to 220 and smoke for 4 hours, then continue cooking at 220 for 16 more hours, then FTC for a few hours?

Toker

I can not swear for the 20h for sure but more than 12 at least. Mine took 20h but each butts seems to be different and remember that around 160 it will stall for several hours between 2-4 hours it is normal that is what you want to break the internals tissue of the meat. The rest of your method looks OK. But if you want to after the smoking time is ended you could taking it into your house oven remember the Bradley is a over with smoke capability  :D

danattherock

Thanks for all the help Toker. I greatly appreciate it. I will be sure to post some pics of my success/failure. Can't wait to have folks over for good ole pulled pork sandwiches. Getting hungry just thinking about it. Not many to be found here on Cape Cod :D

Toker

FLBentRider

I'm little late to the party here, but here is my $0.02

When I do pork butts I start the at least the day before with a rub, plastic wrap and a rest in the fridge. If I brine them I start 2 days earlier. (We'll get into brining later)

I start around 7-8 pm the night before, taking the butt(s) out of the fridge and pre-heating the smoker.

At 8-9 pm the food goes in the smoker. I usually do 4 butts at a time, ~32 lbs of meat.

Don't stress about the smoker coming back up to temp, it will take a while.

I apply 4 hours of smoke, Hickory or Oak, at 205F and continue to cook @205F until an IT of 200F.

Due to the nature of pork butts, I have had one butt reach the target IT as much as four hours earlier than the others.

They usually start hitting the target IT around 2-4pm the next day.

Each one goes into FTC until time to serve. I have FTC'd pork butts for up to 8 hours.

IMHO, shrinkage is more like 30-40%

It is much easier to pull hot than cold.

I take them out of FTC, open up the foil and let it rest about 10 minutes so I don't burn my fingers.

I separate the meat from the fat, leaving the meat in fairly large chunks. I will shred at serving time, but I find that if I shred the entire butt it will start to dry out when reheating.

Sauce is served on the side. IMHO if it turns out right sauce is optional, especially right out of FTC.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!