Anyone willing to help the tard? Got all my stuff and don't know what to do...

Started by danattherock, January 09, 2010, 10:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danattherock

Thanks!

I was hoping you would chime in. Your PM back in August was quite helpful when I was getting my equipment and such picked out.

So I assume it is safe for this thing to run overnight without supervision. OK in the garage (concrete floor)? I am leery of this, but it seems to be required with such long cooking times.
"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask"

KyNola

Dan,
I'm even later to the party.  Just read your PM but I was sure that my learned friends would have you covered.  FLBR is dead on spot.  There is absolutely nothing more I can add to what my friends have told you except for one thing. ;)  Remember that when the Bradley is finished applying smoke that it is nothing more than a somewhat inefficient oven.  I know you have an Auber PID that will hold your temps much tighter than the OBS without a PID will do but you can always transfer the butts to your house oven to finish the cook process.  I do that quite often as I don't have a PID.  I put them on a rack in a roasting pan uncovered, unwrapped and set the oven at around 200-225 and monitor their IT with the Maverick.  Oh! One other thing, don't fret when the IT of the butts stalls somewhere between around 150-160.  That's exactly what you want them to do.  That's when the magic is happening in the butt and all of the fat and connective tissues are breaking down.  Resist the urge to bump up the heat to make the IT move.  It will start moving again eventually.  Also, each butt will stall differently, some longer, some shorter.

Have fun, don't be afraid to come back here for follow up questions or just reassuring words.  Let us know how it goes.  We're all pulling for you!

KyNola

danattherock

Thanks for all the input guys/gals. I appreciate it greatly. Heading home (NC) on Thursday and planning first smoke for the weekend. Likely doing one 9 lb boston butt. Will be sure to post some pictures when I can. Anyone reads this in the next 4 days and has any suggestions on smoking a butt, let me know. I will have internet access till Thur am at 0700.

Gizmo

Do you ever go to Shannon's Bamboo Grill?
If you get there, tell Shannon Hi for me.  I just added his site on Facebook.  I met him several years ago when my daughter lived on the Island.  She was a regular there.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

danattherock

Shannons...   I know the place but don't go there.

As for smoking the boston butt, I am giving lots of thought on cooking times/temps. This is the main issue at hand for me. I am thinking about how to leave it on overnight. This seems needed. If I use the Maverick 73, can I take the remote to bed and look at it to see the cabinet temp and IT of meat? Sounds logical. Is this how you guys do it? I am wondering if it is ok to leave this smoker running on the screened porch or garage while I sleep. Seems looking at the remote temp would give peace of mind that all is in good order. Is this logical?

Gizmo

Quote from: danattherock on January 10, 2010, 08:31:18 PM
As for smoking the boston butt, I am giving lots of thought on cooking times/temps. This is the main issue at hand for me. I am thinking about how to leave it on overnight. This seems needed. If I use the Maverick 73, can I take the remote to bed and look at it to see the cabinet temp and IT of meat? Sounds logical. Is this how you guys do it? I am wondering if it is ok to leave this smoker running on the screened porch or garage while I sleep. Seems looking at the remote temp would give peace of mind that all is in good order. Is this logical?

Yes it is.  Just make sure you dump and change the water in the bowl before going to bed.  The water will help keep and grease that drips down from the food from getting too hot and igniting.  The remote with the alarms will help you to keep an eye on things even if they are both closed.  :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

dana, Bradley designed the smoker with saftey in mind. If you do your part like Gizmo said (change the water, set your alarms on maverick) (youhave both a high and a low temp alarm). Then you will not have any problems.

Don't get paranoid before you ever turn the Bradley on. Run it thru it seasoned cycle and if you see something you don't like or don't understand, then come back and we'll help you figure it out.

But first you have to turn the on switch on before you get too excited.

danattherock

Ha ha ha..

Point taken.  ;)

Part of my concern is that when I am home doing this over the weekend, I won't have access to you guys/gals as we don't have internet back home. Only home 2.5 months per year at present. I have spent the last hour printing off this thread and a few PM's for reference later. I am glad to hear about the water/drip pan. I read in another thread about changing it every 6 hours. Thougth at first about replying to that thread (from Oct) but didn't want to dredge up an old post. Glad to hear about it here. So, I need to change the water (with hot clean water I assume) every 6 hours. How does this help things? Not sure what it does, but I will certainly do it. Just wanting some clarity.

Quarlow

Hey welcome to the forum and good luck with the butts. As for leaving it over night like giz said change the water before bed and you will be fine. Or you can do like CRG does and get some large tin pans big enough to fit in the bottom and just take the bowl out. Then fill the pan with water, juice or even beer and you will be good for all night no problem and you will sleep better knowing that it will go dry. You can set your smoker on the ground or a wooden bench, I set mine on the glass deck table outside. They are very safe. Don't forget to season it and always keep your vent open. On the cleaning they have you covered but after awhile you may get spots on the walls that will flake alittle. I just give the spots a little brushing with my fingers to knock it off and then blow the flakes out or vacuum them.  Smoke on man.
P.S. If you have any questions while you are home with no internet just go to a friends or the public library and use their computers. You can even look up our e-mail adresses and send us who have our addresses posted to ask questions but there is always someone on here anyways.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Maybe for some peace of mind, borrow a friends laptop for the nite you smoke that has access to the net.

If you have a puter at home sign up for a 30 day free trial on a dial-up net provider.

If you want I'll give you my # and you can call me.

Quarlow

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 10, 2010, 09:26:56 PM
Maybe for some peace of mind, borrow a friends laptop for the nite you smoke that has access to the net.

If you have a puter at home sign up for a 30 day free trial on a dial-up net provider.

If you want I'll give you my # and you can call me.
You know I knew he would do this. CRG is a great guy. Take a bow Sonny. You rock man.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

danattherock

My own personal "Smoke Hotline"??

Heck yeah man :D

PM me your number and time zone. I won't call unless it is an emergency of some sorts. Ha ha...

I really appreciate the gesture!

Dan

danattherock

Quarlow,

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it. Is the purpose of a large pan so that it holds more water? Assuming so, any idea on what size to get. House is not stocked well (new home) so I will need to buy a pan of some kind. And juice/beer/water/etc.. does it make a difference on flavor. Feel stupid asking what seems obvious, just curious.

classicrockgriller

Get a 13x9x2 disposible cake pan from Walmart (they come two in a pk for less than $3)

it will slid under your heat shield.

Dan, have sent you my #

On a butt, 1/2 water 1/2 apple juice.

Quarlow

Damn that CRG is fast. Some say it does effect the taste and I would not argue with the likes of these guys.

OBS
BBQ