Whole pork shoulder

Started by Paddlinpaul, January 10, 2010, 01:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddlinpaul

I just came back from the grocery store and they have whole pork shoulders (New York Style) on sale at $0.89/lb. Is this the same as the butt you talk about here? It looks the same as the picture nepas posted today in this same forum
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13687.0
They also have whole legs. The shoulder's label says this cut is the favorite of sausage makers because of the meat/fat ratio. It also sates the average one is approx. 16lbs and will yield about 11lbs after the skin and bone.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

classicrockgriller

Seems like I remember this NY Style conversation on another post and I think at 16 lbs It is a Bst Butt and Picnic combined.

Might be a fun thing to smoke and at that price you'll have about 9 to 10 lbs of pork after shrinkage and bone and fat loss.

ganjafmr

im trying my first pork shoulder today how long should i expect to smoke a seven pounder  and how much actual smoke time

classicrockgriller

ganj, I want to help you but you need to give me some info about your smokin set up.

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey Paddlinpaul , if it looks like the one from Nepas post, that should be a pork butt.
HawkeyeSmokes

ganjafmr

thanks  im using the original bradley

Paddlinpaul

I think CRG nailed with the butt and picnic still joined. From the info i found on line that is what it is. It is cryovac package so what I saw was limited. And at over 16 lbs that would be one hell of a big butt.
I will grab one or two of them this week. Not sure if I should split the butt and picnic, at 16lbs that would be close to 24 hours cooking and a lot of meat. My wife doesn't eat pork GASP and it is just the two of us here. Maybe a good reason to have a party.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

hal4uk

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on January 11, 2010, 07:09:29 PM
Hey Paddlinpaul , if it looks like the one from Nepas post, that should be a pork butt.

At 16# average, I imagine that is whole shoulder.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: hal4uk on January 11, 2010, 07:18:39 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on January 11, 2010, 07:09:29 PM

At 16# average, I imagine that is whole shoulder.

Well, look at the post from Nepas. If it looks like that, it's a butt with no shank. Stores like Sam's club will put 2 in a package for a total of about 16 lbs, give or take. Not sure what the store that Paul is using does.
HawkeyeSmokes

ganjafmr

how many hours should i expect to smoke a shoulder that is 7 pounds

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ganjafmr on January 11, 2010, 07:33:35 PM
how many hours should i expect to smoke a shoulder that is 7 pounds

At 220 expect it to take 14 to 18 hrs (apply smoke for the first 4) bring it to an Internal temp of 200.

ganjafmr

thanks  what kind of thermometer should use

classicrockgriller

If you have a maverick, use that and you can monitor it remotely.

If not, use what you have that you can start checking the IT after about 12 hrs.

ganjafmr

once it reaches 200  how long u suggest i let it rest

classicrockgriller

After reaches 200.

Wrap it up in two layers of alum foil (maybe pour a tad of apple juice on it)

Cover the foiled butt with a LARGE bath towel.

Put that into an unused microwave or a cooler that is house warm.

That will continue to raise the IT temp for a while and slow the cooling process down.

I would leave in that a minium of 2 to 3 hrs before pulling.

What time did you want to eat this pig?