Help! Which pid should I buy?

Started by DOUG3D, January 10, 2010, 02:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

OK i will just buy an extra extension cord and keeping this one anyway i already do it for cold smoking without using my tower temp at all. It's decided i will keep this one maybe if i decide my self to buy a roaster oven i'll buy an other pid cause of the extra wattage i will sure know witch one to buy thx anyway. ;)

classicrockgriller

toker, thank you for your help!

your are a good man!

DOUG3D

I  ended up calling auber and decided on the $175.00 dual. They said some hardwiring would be necessary to use the 2 relay model to control the smoke generator. Which now has me wondering how i will control it without the relay? Will I just have to shut it off manually? I'm getting a little confused with the PID overiding the dbs. I'm expecting the PID on tuesday!

Toker

CRG now thing improved with autotune?

You see DOUG3D you came to the same conclusion that i came to (with CRG help) Is your smoker digital or original? if it's digital you have the ability to do it automaticly without the pid and if it's original just buy a digital timer (about 15-20$) plug it to an other wall outlet (with an other extension cord if your outlet is too far) But if you use an extension cord just make sure you don't plug the timer on the same extension than the pid or it will shut of the pid at the same time.

DOUG3D

Thanks toker, I have a dbs so does that mean I can still use the timer on the display?(that is for the generator)

Toker

For the smoke generator only! if you dont i think it wont start with the pid controlling it you would achieve the same result so why paying extra $$ for something that you can do without it  :D

Mr Walleye

Quote from: DOUG3D on January 17, 2010, 07:34:16 PM
Thanks toker, I have a dbs so does that mean I can still use the timer on the display?(that is for the generator)

Thats right Doug, the DBS generator will still be able to use the timer function. The PID will be powered directly from a wall outlet and in turn will power the main heating element. Your DBS generator will also be powered directly from a wall outlet, you just have to keep the small sensor wire connected to the tower in order for the generator to function properly.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

DOUG3D

Ok I feel a little more confident now with my purchase, Thank You!

classicrockgriller

Doug, if you a digital Bradley, like mike said, The Auber becomes the right hand side of the digital control. (I did not even turn on that side)

You will be able to work the pucks on it's timer (just like normal) and see the cabinet temp according to the Bradley while the puck heater is on.