Looking to buy a smoker and would like some advice

Started by dood56, January 11, 2010, 10:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

Welcome to the forum Food56, alot of good info here!

dood56

Well, after some thought and y'alls advice, I took the plunge just now. I ordered the OBS from Amazon and got One day shipping so that I can cure it on Thursday. I also took advantage of their 4 for 3 offer on bisquettes and ordered a Mesquite, Hickory, and Special Blend. The other thing I got was the All Weather cover. I just need to do some research and find some recipes. I also placed an order for the Bubba Pucks. The only other things I can think I need is the wireless thermometer and the PID. Both of those are going to have to wait until the wife gets over the initial shock of me spending $360, but I am sure as soon as I get a rack of ribs in her, she won't be worrying about it any longer. Thanks for all the advice, now I will just be buggin y'all for techniques!

squirtthecat

Here is a good interim remote thermometer..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ET-71os-Maverick-WIRELESS-Thermometer-Similar-to-ET-72_W0QQitemZ300385286042QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f05bb79a

(you'll want this sooner than later)

I've ordered from that Ebay store - nothing but positive things to say about them.

dood56

Why is a remote thermometer important? Is it because you let the heat escape by opening the door and checking the meat temperature?

squirtthecat

Quote from: dood56 on January 12, 2010, 06:59:11 AM
Why is a remote thermometer important? Is it because you let the heat escape by opening the door and checking the meat temperature?

Well, you don't absolutely have to have a remote one.  It's just REALLY handy.
Get a decent wired one if you like - for the reason you mentioned above. (peaking lets the heat out)

Hal has a nice Oneida one if I recall.   (from Bed Bath & Beyond or a similar kitchen/home store)

[edit]

Caneyscud

Quote from: dood56 on January 12, 2010, 06:59:11 AM

The short answer is Yes.  Wired or Wireless it doesn't matter, as long as you don't have to open the door.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

Welcome Dood.  Need recipes you say?  Check out the recipe website. www.susanminor.org  It has tons of recipes and helpful info about your Bradley and it has pretty much all been submitted by members of this forum.

KyNola

Roadking

Dood Welcome to the forum and your new smoker. You'll love it.

Hey squirtcat that sure looks like a Cook Shack to me. I have you also sitting next to the Bradley,

squirtthecat

Quote from: Roadking on January 12, 2010, 08:04:23 AM
Hey squirtcat that sure looks like a Cook Shack to me. I have you also sitting next to the Bradley,

That is Hal's Smokin' Tex.   He's had it for a few years now..   It is very well 'seasoned'.

dood56

Alright, the Bradley is here and put together. My Bisquettes arrive today so I can season it and my Maverick will be here tomorrow. Now, the wife has mandated that I cook her ribs and I read the how to on the recipe forum. The question I have, what rub does everyone like? She is not a fan of heat, so if there are suggestions, please let me know. Additionally, any recommendations on some other meats that are good to start learning on this thing, I am all ears. I hope to be running my OBS all weekend. That means plenty of beer and meat for me!

KyNola

Dood,
I'm partial to Jan's Dry Rub. ;)  My wife Jan and I concocted it.  It's on the recipe site.  Also on the recipe site are several recipes for bacon wrapped chicken breasts.  Vey simple and very delicious.  One piece of advice when doing poultry, vent open 100%.  Poultry contains lots of moisture and you want that to escape pronto.  Another good one for your first weekend is a pork butt for pulled butt.  Very long smoke/cook time but pretty much foolproof.  Butts are very forgiving.

Have fun and let us know what's going on.  Don't be afraid to ask any question you may have.

KyNola

Quarlow

I too am enjoying Jan's rub. But I had to leave out the cayenne as I can't take the heat. I love spicy but my colitis doesn't.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

By all means, leave it out if it is going to cause you distress.  Dood, you could leave it out or cut back on the cayenne as you said your wife doesn't like heat.  I will say that Jan's Rub has very little heat to it, you just sort of know it's there but in Quarlow's case he should definitely leave all of the cayenne out as colitis is nothing to fool around with.

KyNola

Quarlow

I am also going to try some with extra sugar to get a sweet rub. I want to try it on salmon. But I still like the basic. Thank's Jan.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Nothing to take away fron Jan's Rub cause it s a Very Nice (In Fact it's GREAT) rub, but if you have a seasoning or rub already at home that you like

on ribs use it first. That just gives you one less thing to worry about on your first smoke.

Use that brain power to decide other things, How much beer to get, what game to watch, when to take a nap, and plans for you next smoke.

But Jan's Rub needs to be on your list to make soon!