Looking to buy a smoker and would like some advice

Started by dood56, January 11, 2010, 10:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

CRG,
Your advice is very solid.  I agree with you 100%.  Dood, as CRG is saying, if you have a rub that you are already familiar with and like it, you should use that on your first try at ribs.  That way you know what to expect and don't have to worry if momma is going to be unhappy.

You can try Jan's later.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on January 14, 2010, 01:07:48 PM
CRG,
Your advice is very solid.  I agree with you 100%.  Dood, as CRG is saying, if you have a rub that you are already familiar with and like it, you should use that on your first try at ribs.  That way you know what to expect and don't have to worry if momma is going to be unhappy.

You can try Jan's later.

KyNola

And when you try it you will be using it on a regular basis.

I have made it up 3 times in a 5 months and it makes a lot.

It is a staple at our Deer Camp, on the Front Row of all the spices.

I made up a batch and bottled it in smaller bottles and gave that and

smoked cheese to some friends at Christmas and EVERYONE loves the rub!

Ky Nola & Jan did a great job and made a great rub.

dood56

I have a weekend of smoked meat planned. Tomorrow we are going with baby rack ribs using the competition rib recipe. Then on Sunday we are using Mr. Brown's pulled pork recipe on a pork butt. Finally, we will be having some bacon wrapped chicken on Monday. Got the fridage stocked with beer and some homemade wine. Should go well with some football. Anyhow, how do I post pics so I can show you guys the final product. I appreciate all the help. Got the smoker seasoned and got my Maverick Thermometer tonight so I should be all set. Will be posting updates.

classicrockgriller

JT-MO

I agree with the rub, when I did my first smoke I just went to the store and bought the same rub I always used before.
McCormick Grill Mates pork rub:
http://www.mccormick.com/Products/GrillMates/Dry-Rubs/Grill-Mates-Pork-Rub.aspx
Next time I think I will make Jan's rub and try it out.

dood56

I actually have some of that, but went with the recipes I already listed. Got about 5 more degrees before my bacon wrapped chicken is done. Licking my chops already.

dood56

Well, a lack of reading the complete directions prompted me to cook the bacon wrapped chicken last night. I used Special Blend and smoked it for 2 hours at 200 F. I thought it was delicious, but my wife felt like the smoke taste was over powering. Definitely juicy and tender. Will be doing the pork butt tonight. Pics are included!

anderson5420

Well, I am not "everyone" but here is our all-time favorite rub for ribs and butts. It is take-off from Wild Willy's Rub from Smoke and Spice by Jamison.

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup coarse salt
1/2 cup coarse ground black pepper
1/2 cup paprika
1 tbsp garlic granules
1 tbsp onion granules
1 tbsp chili powder

Now, I am a bit of a heretic.  I use the smokers (a Bradley OBS, a SMI 20 lb smoker and a Little Chief) for smoking a variety of sausage (such as Polish, pepperoni, and beef stick), salmon, mussels, clams, cheese and so forth. This is all characterized by a temperature range ramping from 120 degrees to 165 degrees F.  I see you ordered an Auber controller, which is a great investment. I have a much less expensive Ranco controller ($75 from Grainger), it works very well but is not a PID, and I have to go manually set each temperature for ramping, it is not too difficult.

I use a Brinkman Electric Water Smoker (about $70) for ribs, butts and chicken. I installed a thermometer in the dome on mine, and usually wrap the smoker in an old rug for insulation.  The temperature range on the Brinkman is 250 to 300 degrees F., no controller used.  Look at it as a substitute for a wood-fired pit BBQ, which I would use if I could stand around tending a fire all day.  It uses wood chunks placed directly on the electric element, and recently I have been using some hardwood pucks (more solid than the Bradley pucks, I forget the brand).  At these temperatures, ribs take 4-5 hours and a butt invariably takes 10 hours.  The rub forms the best "Mr. Brown" (they tend to call it "bark" here on the butts as the sugar  carmelizes and mixes with the meat juices.  The butts are always tender and juicy for pulled pork served on squishy buns with Mephis Magic Sauce and coleslaw on the side. The ribs get a crunchy outside and are tender and juicy on the inside. 

To me, it's using the right tool for a particular job.  To me, using the Bradley to cook a butt seems like cutting a 2x4 with a hacksaw. But then, like I say, I am a bit of a heretic on this score here.

Quote from: dood56 on January 14, 2010, 07:48:30 AM
The question I have, what rub does everyone like?
So many recipes, so little time!

JT-MO

using the Bradley to cook a butt seems like cutting a 2x4 with a hacksaw
So according to your analogy it takes longer and is harder work to cook a butt in the bradley? Providing a hacksaw means a fine-tooth saw with a blade under tension in a frame, used for cutting materials such as metal or bone?

I am not getting the same experience when I do butts in the bradley. I just did a butt couple weeks back and it took about the same amount of time (10 to 12 hours) at around 220 cooking temp, pretty much cooked itself while I slept.
It fell apart, bone fell out, all was very moist and tasty :)
So overall I think cooking a butt in a bradley is a perfect fit or like cutting a 2x4 with a power saw, just my 2 cents. Then again I never tried one of those water smokers by brinkman.

@dood, I never tried the bacon wrap chicken, it is however on my list. I hear from others that bacon really absorbs the smoke, maybe others can confirm this. Maybe that is why your wife thought it was "strong".

Quarlow

Bacon does absorb smoke well. It is the oils that is why if you rub your chicken with oil before smoking you will get good smoke flavour.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

Anderson,
When you're doing butts in your Brinkman what temp are you running to get those butts done in 10 hours?  The reason I ask is I have both a Bradley Digital and a MAK smoker/grill and I find the time it takes me to smoke/cook butts is essentially the same in both.  I've never finished a butt in 10 hours.  It was also the same in my Traeger.

I would hate to think that I bought not one but 3 hacksaws to cut a 2X4.

KyNola  

anderson5420

I see that "hacksaw to cut a 2x4" line is getting a bit of traction!

I actually have two Brinkman Electric Water Smokers, one in Fall City (green) and one in Birch Bay (red). I don't know if the color difference means they are a different model or what, they were each around $69, but that was a long time ago.

The Birch Bay one gets more use (weekend place) and so is the one I stuck the Brinkman BBQ thermometer in the dome. I heard somewhere that Lowe's sells a BBQ thermometer with a big dial, short probe and a nut to install it for under $10 - I think the Brinkman thermometer was $29, so I am going to check out Lowe's for sure!  I just replaced the electric element this weekend at Birch Bay. This is what the one at Birch Bay looks like, except mine has a thermometer in the dome and is quite a bit, well, well-used looking:

According to the thermometer, when I wrap it in an old rug, it is 300 degrees F. or so. Yesterday, with the new element, it was reading 350 degrees F, and I sadly overshot  my mark on some country ribs. ???

Quote from: KyNola on January 17, 2010, 05:52:12 PM
Anderson,
When you're doing butts in your Brinkman what temp are you running to get those butts done in 10 hours?  The reason I ask is I have both a Bradley Digital and a MAK smoker/grill and I find the time it takes me to smoke/cook butts is essentially the same in both.  I've never finished a butt in 10 hours.  It was also the same in my Traeger.

I would hate to think that I bought not one but 3 hacksaws to cut a 2X4.

KyNola  
So many recipes, so little time!

dood56

Last night we ate the butt....haha. Anyhow, not sure I made it right. I followed this recipe:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86
However, it was not like pulled pork I have had back home in Cincinnati. My wife really enjoyed it so that was good. However, I guess I am confused because everyone talks about cooking it for 10 hours, but that recipe had me smoke it for 4. I actually smoked it for 5 since I did not reach 175 F until then. I then placed it in my microwave for 30 minutes since the recipe said to let it rest for 30 minutes. Did I miss something or is this correct. Sorry about not having pictures, but we were so anxious to eat, I forgot. I will have pics of the ribs tonight. Thanks for all the help!

FLBentRider

Quote from: dood56 on January 18, 2010, 09:49:31 AM
Last night we ate the butt....haha. Anyhow, not sure I made it right. I followed this recipe:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86
However, it was not like pulled pork I have had back home in Cincinnati. My wife really enjoyed it so that was good. However, I guess I am confused because everyone talks about cooking it for 10 hours, but that recipe had me smoke it for 4. I actually smoked it for 5 since I did not reach 175 F until then. I then placed it in my microwave for 30 minutes since the recipe said to let it rest for 30 minutes. Did I miss something or is this correct. Sorry about not having pictures, but we were so anxious to eat, I forgot. I will have pics of the ribs tonight. Thanks for all the help!

Personally, I take butts to 190-200F. Four hours of smoke, and about another 12-18 hours of cook.

What was it that you didn't like?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dood56

We liked it. Had great flavor. I just wanted to be sure I cooked it right. Seemed a little undercooked. Next time, I will be sure to cook it longer. Just seemed like a short time to cook after reading several posts here on the forum.