Looking to buy a smoker and would like some advice

Started by dood56, January 11, 2010, 10:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dood56

Quote from: KyNola on January 18, 2010, 06:29:35 PM
Dood,
Those ribs look great.  Reading your rib post I have to ask the same question again.  Did you have those ribs in your Bradley for a total of 3 hours and then FTC?  If so, your Maverick has to be way off on your temp readings.  Ribs being done in 3 hours and a butt at 175 IT after 5 hours tells me the temp in the tower is much higher than what your Maverick is telling you.

I did not use the Maverick on the ribs. I used it to tell me the OBS temp and I placed the ribs on the second from the bottom rack. I pulled them after 3 hours because a toothpick went in easily. I had the OBS at 225 F for the smoke.

Caneyscud

Quote from: anderson5420 on January 18, 2010, 05:09:29 PM
Trump me if I am wrong, but a pork shoulder and a Boston butt are the same thing. You can buy it bone-in or boneless. Cut and paste from Cook's Thesaurus:

True, but the butt is from the upper parts of the shoulder - in the shoulder blade area.  While (at least here in the South, the shoulder (also called the "picnic") is from lower and includes some of the front leg bone.  

PS - Dood, them ribs look great.  If your momma didn't like them, my momma would!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: dood56 on January 19, 2010, 04:37:21 AM
Quote from: KyNola on January 18, 2010, 06:29:35 PM
Dood,
Those ribs look great.  Reading your rib post I have to ask the same question again.  Did you have those ribs in your Bradley for a total of 3 hours and then FTC?  If so, your Maverick has to be way off on your temp readings.  Ribs being done in 3 hours and a butt at 175 IT after 5 hours tells me the temp in the tower is much higher than what your Maverick is telling you.

I did not use the Maverick on the ribs. I used it to tell me the OBS temp and I placed the ribs on the second from the bottom rack. I pulled them after 3 hours because a toothpick went in easily. I had the OBS at 225 F for the smoke.

Dood, I agree with the others that the total time for the ribs is fast. If I understand correctly, you smoked the ribs on the second rack and my question is, where was the sensor for the Maverick located? If it was above the ribs they would be getting cooked at a higher temperature than the Maverick was showing. Just a thought.
HawkeyeSmokes

dood56

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on January 19, 2010, 06:40:49 AM

Dood, I agree with the others that the total time for the ribs is fast. If I understand correctly, you smoked the ribs on the second rack and my question is, where was the sensor for the Maverick located? If it was above the ribs they would be getting cooked at a higher temperature than the Maverick was showing. Just a thought.
I had the Maverick sensor hanging just below the ribs. I just let it dangle underneath the rack the ribs were on.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: dood56 on January 19, 2010, 08:14:47 AM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on January 19, 2010, 06:40:49 AM

I had the Maverick sensor hanging just below the ribs. I just let it dangle underneath the rack the ribs were on.

Dood, don't have many more ideas. The only other thing I can think of is to check your Maverick. Place the tip of the sensor in boiling water to check the accuracy of it. Make sure to keep the wire away from the water, that can destroy it.
HawkeyeSmokes

dood56

Alright, so I am back from my business trip and I have me a brisket in the smoker. I was looking at the WTSBrisket recipe, but I am confused on one part. I know to smoke it for four hours and then stick it in the oven to boat it. However, how long should I go with the boating process? I saw times for smoking and FTC, but nothing with the boating. Any help will be appreciated!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: dood56 on February 13, 2010, 06:03:45 AM
Alright, so I am back from my business trip and I have me a brisket in the smoker. I was looking at the WTSBrisket recipe, but I am confused on one part. I know to smoke it for four hours and then stick it in the oven to boat it. However, how long should I go with the boating process? I saw times for smoking and FTC, but nothing with the boating. Any help will be appreciated!
That would be because you want to go by temp not time. I believe it should be in th eneighborhood of 10-12 hours with this method.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dood56

That is what I thought too 10.5, but according to the recipe, he says he does not go for a temp. It is like he uses PFM (Pure F'in Magic) to make his brisket.