First Butt's

Started by smokin65, January 15, 2010, 01:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin65

Yes, the long stall was the 162 + stall, took forever.  Now it just turned 180.

hal4uk

Sounds like it's getting there!
It'll be worth the wait  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

smokin65

Well, after 48 hours it's done............

I mean, it's gone, eaten up, scarfed down.....I do have one in sections vacuum sealed in the freezer.  The 6lb'er fed 3 last night and 6 tonight.

It ended up hitting 190 at 6pm, so overall an 18 hour cook for the both of them.  I FTC'd for an hour and a half. 

smokin65

Here are some pics of the smoke on Saturday. Next on my list are spare-ribs, probably Friday or Saturday and the ribs don't look like an all day affair...I hope.  One slab is 5.73lbs, the other is 5.37lbs.  Do you guru's think somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 - 7 hours total, with 2 hours of that smoke?

FLBentRider

Nice looking butts you have there!

For spare ribs that sounds about right, for baby backs it sounds a little long.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pachanga

smokin65,

Nice photos.  Looks like you turned out some fine Q with a really nice bark.

Rib timing can fool you or make a fool out of you.  Just when you think they are never going to be tender up, they are done and are falling off the bone. This is too much for me as I like a little tug in my ribs.  As with any smoke there are a lot of variables.  I agree with FLBentRider's assessment but start early and plan on FTC if you have a set eating time.

Thanks for posting your success.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

OU812

Nice lookin pork butt you've made there smokin65

Good luck on the ribs, there kinda tricky but I'm sure you will get them the way you want.

Caneyscud

BeeeeuuuuuTTTfulllll!!   Smokin65, that is some mighty fine look'n butt.  If that is your first, you knocked it out of the park on your first!  That one picture of that piled up pulled pork puts ALL the local joints here to shame.  Great Job.  And that is some good looking bark.  Sure makes the "Q better with good bark. 

So what does the "the truly unpleasant Mrs. Smokin65"  say now?  ;D ;D ;D

Six to seven hours on the spares sounds about right - quite often -  iff'n you can keep the CT somewhere around 225.     3-2-1 if you are into foiling. 

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokin65

Thanks everyone......the truly unpleasant mrs. smokin65 loved it and it was just as good if not better the next day.  She even said it was better than what our local bbq place is serving, that made me feel pretty darn good.

I'll keep everyone covered on the ribs.  I watched one of the videos posted on this board on how to trim up the spare-ribs st. louis style.....that's what I'm going to try to do.

classicrockgriller

those butts look just like $$ in the bank.

With that as a standard you will never be serveing bad BBQ

KyNola

Congrats on those butts.  They look awesome.  6-7 hours on ribs should work but don't write that down.  Ribs have there own built in "I'm almost done" thermometer in them.  Low and slow is the way to go with ribs.  The built in thermometer is watching for the meat to start slipping up the rib bones, exposing the end of the bones. 1/4-1/2 inch bone exposed? DONE!

Nice ride BTW.

KyNola 

hal4uk

65 - as long as you go low and slow, KY has ya covered on that "done" check.  No matter how tasty they look, they ain't right 'till they show some bone.  Don't over-do it, though; you don't want them really "falling off the bone", just coming off clean when you eat them.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

seemore

65, those look awesome!!!
mrs

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG