Smoked Injected Pork Butt

Started by OU812, January 11, 2010, 03:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

OU812..thanks will order some to try
seemore

seemore

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Shaman,

Right here. www.susanminor.org  

Don't hurt yourself! ;)

KyNola

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

hal4uk

Dang, KY..
That must have been simultaneous...  Didn't get any RED WARNING...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 14, 2010, 05:05:32 PM
Mr Brown rub http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=99#post99

Vaunted Vinegar sauce http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=146#post146

I add a little arrow root to thicken it up a little.
FLB what do you mean by Arrow Root. The only thing I know of is the baby cookies?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Quarlow on January 14, 2010, 08:33:23 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on January 14, 2010, 05:05:32 PM
Mr Brown rub http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=99#post99

Vaunted Vinegar sauce http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=146#post146

I add a little arrow root to thicken it up a little.
FLB what do you mean by Arrow Root. The only thing I know of is the baby cookies?

Q, arrowroot is a thickening agent. Kind of like cornstarch or flour.
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

shaman

Take the butt and rub it down with the Mr. Brown then slather on some CYM (cheep yellow mustard) then another dose of Mr. Brown this time dont rub it in just cover the CYM with the rub. I dont do the wrap and rest overnight thing, I fire up the smoker after the second coating of rub has been put on. That will allow the butt to come to room temp wile the smoker is coming up to temp. I heat my smoker to 250 F before I put the butt in. After the butt is in watch the temp, when the temp gets close to 220 F turn the heat down in the smoker to 220 F

I like Pecan (a mild version of hickory) smoke for 4 hr, dump the drip pan and refill with HOT water then get ready for a long wait. I do my long cooks over night. Dont freak out when the temp of the butt stalls out around 160 F thats when the magic happens and it can stay there for up 6 hr before the IT (internal temp) starts to rise again. Pull out of the smoker when the IT hits
180 F then TFC (towel foil cooler) for a couple hr. The FTC will allow the butt to finish cooking to 185 F and allow the juices to re constatute in the meat.

After the FTC put the butt in a lasagna pan and pull, keeping all the butt in one pan will allow the bark and juices to be evenly mixed together.

Note: When doing the overnight thing I put a foil roasting pan with 2 warm cans of beer in it on the rack below the rack the butt is on. I do this when the smoke is done and when changing the drip pan. This will catch the drippings and when the butt is doing the FTC thing put the pan of drippings in the fridge to let the fat become solid then discard the fat and you have some killer pork drippings. You can put the drippings back in with the butt when you pull if you want or save for when you reheat the butt or use it to make some of the best gravy you ever had.

electricshaman

Thanks everyone, 
OU, what a FTC,  Is that a where tent the meat with foil to keep it cooking.  Thanks

FLBentRider

Wrap in Foil, Wrap that in an old Towel, and put into a Cooler (no ice)

This will rest it and keep it warm for hours if needed.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

OU,
How do you like the old Yellow Sauce?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

I like Butts alittle warmer (190 to 195) IT

Take several readings in different areas when you think you are ready to take it out of the smoker.

RickWL63

Man, you guys have me really keyed up to try a pork butt.  Soon as I see some at a descent price, I'm going for it.

Rick

RickWL63

Getting a pork butt lathered up for an overnight marinade.  Since I found it at $.99/lb on the way home tonight.  (OU/Electricshaman: Hyvee at Shadow Lake, Papillion had it, I didn't buy them all... ;D)  I will probably have it going by 9 p.m. tomorrow night.

Rick