Smoked Injected Pork Butt

Started by OU812, January 11, 2010, 03:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Great job Rick

The bark looks prefect and the total package looks very moist.

I picked up three more butts at 8+ lb each last night, $.99/lb cant beat that.

Caneyscud

Rick, that is some good looking butt!  I know it tasted as good as it looked.  Looks like you are getting this Bradley smoking figured out.  BTW, if your ambient allows you to keep the temp above 200, you can just leave it in the Bradley.  No need to dirty up the kitchen oven.  Hope you added the drippings to any BBQ sauce you might have used. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

RickWL63

Thanks guys, turned out great, very moist.  Caney, plans were to leave it in the Bradley, but the digital models have a timer that I have yet to figure out how to disable.  Dang thing kicked off during a movie and the temp fell fast as it was about 25* outside.  So instead of firing up and waiting for the Bradley to get back up to temp, I opted for my oven, it doesn't have one of those silly timers....  ;D  Set the oven for 210* and slept comfortably knowing it wouldn't be ready to FTC until well after I woke up.

Does anyone know how to bypass the timer on the digitals?  Max setting is around 9 hours 40 minutes.  The only thing I've tried that finishes in that amount of time is ribs.  Haven't tried any other small food batches, but they are on the agenda.  ;)  I need to search the DBS section.

MPTubbs

9 hours and 40 min. is it....no more.

After awhile you just go out and adjust with ^ button and add more time.

No biggie!  ;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: RickWL63 on January 19, 2010, 07:46:21 AM
Thanks guys, turned out great, very moist.  Caney, plans were to leave it in the Bradley, but the digital models have a timer that I have yet to figure out how to disable.  Dang thing kicked off during a movie and the temp fell fast as it was about 25* outside.  So instead of firing up and waiting for the Bradley to get back up to temp, I opted for my oven, it doesn't have one of those silly timers....  ;D  Set the oven for 210* and slept comfortably knowing it wouldn't be ready to FTC until well after I woke up.

Does anyone know how to bypass the timer on the digitals?  Max setting is around 9 hours 40 minutes.  The only thing I've tried that finishes in that amount of time is ribs.  Haven't tried any other small food batches, but they are on the agenda.  ;)  I need to search the DBS section.

I don't think you can disable the timer Rick. You can reset it to 9:40 minutes any time you want to. Or the other option is to use a PID to run it.
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

Quote from: RickWL63 on January 19, 2010, 07:46:21 AM
... but the digital models have a timer that I have yet to figure out how to disable. ...

Does anyone know how to bypass the timer on the digitals?  Max setting is around 9 hours 40 minutes.

The way I understand it you have 2 options:

1. Set your watch or another timer to remind you, or reset the timer before you head to the rack.

2. Get a PID (or Ranco, etc) and bypass the DBS oven control completely.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

There is no way to bypass the cabnet timer. Just keep track of the time or as FLB has stated get a timer if you minds on other things. Then just before you go to bed reset the timer back to 9hr 40min or if the funds are there get a PID to run the show and bypass the cabnet temp side of the generator.

My oven in the house will shut off after about 12 hr, its one of those new fangeled things with a glass top so I'm sure its a safety thing.

Caneyscud

Unless you plan to hibernate, just add the max time to it before you go to bed.  I usually get a full 6 hours of sleep so the 9:40 is no prob for me.

OU812

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 19, 2010, 08:11:20 AM
Unless you plan to hibernate, just add the max time to it before you go to bed.  I usually get a full 6 hours of sleep so the 9:40 is no prob for me.

I was going to say that. :D

FLBentRider

Quote from: OU812 on January 19, 2010, 08:06:54 AM
My oven in the house will shut off after about 12 hr, its one of those new fangeled things with a glass top so I'm sure its a safety thing.

Obviously crafted by some paranoid yahoo who doesn't know a thing about Q!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 19, 2010, 08:16:19 AM
Quote from: OU812 on January 19, 2010, 08:06:54 AM

Obviously crafted by some paranoid yahoo who doesn't know a thing about Q!

Thats what I thought when the only time my Bradly crapped out on me and had to finish out a cook in the oven. Got up in the morn, started the oven about 12 hr earlier, and it was off. What the ####!

RickWL63

Yeah, I think the additional timer thing is what I need to use.  Was trying to get the kids fed and stuff done before the movie started.  Kind of forgot to check the timer on the Bradley.  My bad.  But hey, this is a learning experience and I will use it to my advantage.  I have set the timer to 9:40 before heading to bed when I made the sausage sticks.  Guess it needs to be like Pavlov's dogs, a little conditioning is all that is needed.   ;) (and I keep looking at those food pics and salivating)  ;D

OU812

Rick, I bet it will be a long time before you forget to reset the timer again.

Just one more thing to remember before you settle down for a good movie or to bed. No biggie, at least you dont have to go out and mess with the fire and vents every half hr or so.

RickWL63

Caneyscud

I think the Caneyism reads - "You will remember to do it until the next time you forget to do it!"

Inversely (well not really, but it sounds cool) "The grayer the hair, the more often you will forget to remember - wait - or is it remember to forget - I don't remember which is right!"