Anyone permanently mount the Maverick?

Started by GusRobin, January 11, 2010, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Anyone come up with a good way to pemanently mount the Maverick probes? By this I mean instead of running the wires through the vent or the door, drill a hole in the smoke box. The problem I see is that the hole will have to be big enough to fit the probe which will result in there being too much space when only the wire is running through it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ronbeaux

I think someone suggested if you drill a hole for it to fit for you to go to the auto parts store and buy one of those gromets that you use for threading wires through the firewall of your car to help close the gap.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

squirtthecat

Quote from: GusRobin on January 11, 2010, 05:28:16 PM
Anyone come up with a good way to pemanently mount the Maverick probes? By this I mean instead of running the wires through the vent or the door, drill a hole in the smoke box. The problem I see is that the hole will have to be big enough to fit the probe which will result in there being too much space when only the wire is running through it.

Do you really want to?   I use mine w/ my Bradley, my newused Traeger, my Weber gasser, and sometimes (including last night) in my house oven..

[edit]

Ok, Ronbeaux has a great idea that would make them 'tidier', but easy to remove if you have to clean them or use elsewhere.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 11, 2010, 05:38:36 PM
Quote from: GusRobin on January 11, 2010, 05:28:16 PM

Do you really want to?   I use mine w/ my Bradley, my newused Traeger, my Weber gasser, and sometimes (including last night) in my house oven..

[edit]

Ok, Ronbeaux has a great idea that would make them 'tidier', but easy to remove if you have to clean them or use elsewhere.

It would make it tidy and have the option to remove but!! They won't take the heat. They are either made of rubber or plastic depending on which ones you get.

Hi-Temp RTV silicone would work but then you can't remove the probes.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

I'm with STC, I have used mine in various cooking areas including the oven.

If I did perm mount it I would buy a second probe.

Question? Since the thing is to have the probe under the lowest rack of meat,

where would you mount it.

Seems like that would defeat it's purpose.

ronbeaux

You don't think regular rubber will take 250 max?? Maybe I spoke too soon, but I use mine at temps below 250 and surely the rubber will hold up. ??

If you use the high temp stuff do you think you could let it dry with a substitute probe that you could pull out when it got dry so it would leave a formed hole, and then just thread your Maverick probe through it? Maybe put a little oil on there so it wouldn't stick to the probe and allow you to remove it when it dried?

Just thinking. Sometimes that is bad, I admit.

ronbeaux

On further reflection, what difference would it make if you drilled a hole into the cabinet to thread a probe through just so you didn't have to run the probe down through the top vent or smash it in the door??? It will just let a little smoke out and I doubt it would make a difference in reaching your internal temp.

Slap me. Instead of just laying it in there on the grates through your new hole you could solder two roach clips together and clip one end onto the grates and use the other end to hold the probe up off of the grates. With that method you could 'attach' the probe just about anywhere inside you wanted as long as you don't run out of wire on the probe.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ronbeaux on January 11, 2010, 05:53:47 PM
You don't think regular rubber will take 250 max?? Maybe I spoke too soon, but I use mine at temps below 250 and surely the rubber will hold up. ??

If you use the high temp stuff do you think you could let it dry with a substitute probe that you could pull out when it got dry so it would leave a formed hole, and then just thread your Maverick probe through it? Maybe put a little oil on there so it wouldn't stick to the probe and allow you to remove it when it dried?

Just thinking. Sometimes that is bad, I admit.

Ron, I don't think they will hold up to 250 long term. Short term, maybe?

And I guess I read the original question as he wants to put the entire probe inside with only the wire remaining in the hole that was drilled. To answer your question though, if the probe was lubed 1st (Pam maybe)  you might be able to slide the probe back out after the silicone cured. A person could test it out on clean nail, would hate to ruin a probe.

And reading your last post, it may not make a bit of difference if the hole isn't sealed. And the 2 clip idea would work for sure.
HawkeyeSmokes

ronbeaux

I was just trying to re-think what the original goal was. Put a probe inside without going through the top vent or smashing it in the door. I can see where putting it through the door will create a situation to where you will have to clean off the residue from escaping smoke just so the door gasket doesn't leak or even develop a permanent gap. But threading it through the top vent escapes me. From what I have read the top vent is usually left at least 1/2 open. Reading through books on smoking stuff they all talk about vent control from 1/4 to wide open to whatever. I don't see where this applies to the Bradley. The vents should surely be mosty open during most if not all cooks and why would it matter if you just dropped it in through the top???

I still like the two roach clip idea though.

HawkeyeSmokes

I agree Ron. Running the probes down the top vent works with the Bradley.

I do run mine through the door and yes, I do get some smoke residue. But I have to clean by the door seal any way so it really doesn't bother me. Both ways work and myself, I would go with either the vent or door option before drilling holes to mount the probe. But thats me.

The 2 clip idea is good.

HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

Just had my first bad experience with dropping the probes down through the vent.  I had to connect the probe to the bottom rack and my wires are just barely long enough to connect to it. So the ET-73 was real close to the vent. It turned it it from a nice white to a dingy orange now.  >:(
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

GusRobin

My original idea was to permanently mount the probe. I was just looking at a "neater" way off doing it. I would buy an additional probe. As far as the question regarding what rack, that would be determined when I cooked.
Some good ideas that I need to look at and has me tihinking of a cople of other ideas.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

I just come thru the door and that way you can get it out of the way if you rotate and flip like I do.

Captainslug

Quote from: KevinG on January 11, 2010, 06:54:29 PM
Just had my first bad experience with dropping the probes down through the vent.  I had to connect the probe to the bottom rack and my wires are just barely long enough to connect to it. So the ET-73 was real close to the vent. It turned it it from a nice white to a dingy orange now.  >:(

Maverick sells 6ft hi-temp probe replacements. It actually mentions that in the manual.  I have ordered mine already and I have yet to receive my Maverick itself!
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Captainslug on March 04, 2010, 12:05:25 PM
Quote from: KevinG on January 11, 2010, 06:54:29 PM

Maverick sells 6ft hi-temp probe replacements. It actually mentions that in the manual.  I have ordered mine already and I have yet to receive my Maverick itself!
After sending my probe for a swim in an ice bath when doing kielbasa. I got one of those six foot replacements and they work better than the original for sure. It was a good lesson probes don't like water!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!