Sausage Stuffer

Started by classicrockgriller, January 11, 2010, 05:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

I use a 5 lb. from northern tool with plastic gears, no problems and with whats leftover in stuffer and tube makes a perfect patty for next mornings breakfast.

anderson5420

I have had a Sausage Maker Inc. 5 lb vertical stuffer for years and years and love it.  But generally needing two of everything (one for Fall City, near Seattle, and one for Birch Bay, a couple of miles south of the Canadian border), in a weak moment I foolishly bought one of these a few years ago.

First use of it was yesterday (not so much time for sausage at Birch Bay as I thought I would have, and until this weekend, the only smoker here was the Little Chief).

It was an unmitigated disaster.  I got my Grandpa Jumbo Polish stuffed (and it turned out the best ever), but significant quantities of meat ooze up around the wrong side of the plunger, and it takes more force than ought to be necessary to push the lever down - definitely not for the feeble.  Does ANYBODY use these suckers successfully?  Can anybody explain how they are supposed to work?
So many recipes, so little time!

Yooper Jim

Pat
If you have a brother in law (etc.) you don't like ............ give it to him.  You will never miss the thing!!!!  Had one and hated it.  It's ok .... if you have a 300# buddy to push the handle down while you stuff the casing.  IMHO

harper072554

Anderson, that one is exactly like mine... I hate it... I may just give it to my Mother-In-Law... I would hate to insult my Brother-In-Law... LOL...
Wade

KevinG

I have one of those also, worst investment I made in food equipment. I had the same problem with the food oozing around the plunger and the force issue. It does help if you mount it permanently, but I actually like my hand grinder for stuffing better. I now have an automatic grinder stuffer that makes life soooooo much easier!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

York

I am glad I read this thread. I was about to buy one of those stuffers. However, I won't know. I'll save for a vertical one now.

anderson5420

York - you can buy mine CHEAP!

Quote from: York on January 18, 2010, 05:45:09 PM
I am glad I read this thread. I was about to buy one of those stuffers. However, I won't know. I'll save for a vertical one now.
So many recipes, so little time!

muzzletim

I agree with everyone that the vertical is the way to go! However I stuffed hundreds of pounds of sausage with the old style. I have had all the problems described! Some one told me to wrap the plunger head with aluminum foil, that eliminated alot, not all, of the leakage of meat. I have a 5# grizzly that works great and would not go back to the other unless I strip my plastic gears in the middle of a batch! (Some of us just do not learn)

Tim
Tim

NePaSmoKer

When i worked at Cabelas those horn stuffers just sat around. Not many sold.......Garbage IMHO

ArnieM

I went with CRG and ordered the 5 pound LEM.  I didn't get the kit.  I already have the book and some seasonings.

I just can't take the KA stuffer anymore!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Mine came in today!

Sure is pretty!

hal4uk

CRG, You doing like me now?  Buyin' stuff and just looking at it?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

He doesn't want to get it dirty  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Ok, Let me see.

Got Grinder. check

Got Stuffer. check

Got spices. check

Got casings. check

Got everything I need. no check.

I got the crap to do now I'll have to learn to do it.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 20, 2010, 05:40:17 PM
Ok, Let me see.

Got Grinder. check

Got Stuffer. check

Got spices. check

Got casings. check

Got everything I need. no check.

I got the crap to do now I'll have to learn to do it.

I'm not working so i am for hire  :D  :D