Can I freeze bulk sticks that have quick cure and seasoning in it already?

Started by xcrider, January 12, 2010, 01:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcrider

I ended up making a batch of stick using a Cabelas Sticks kit, had a problem with my stuffer so I froze the remaining bulk already mixed sausage.  I've got another stuffer coming that is supposed to be good for sticks and I'm hoping I can unthaw rapidly, stuff and smoke.

Can this be done?

Thanks,
Don

Habanero Smoker

Hi xcrider;

Welcome to the forum.

Freezing will actually halt the curing process, the time period you are freezing it for is short; so you will be alright. I don't know what you mean by quick thaw, but it would be safer to thaw the meat in the refrigerator, or under cold running water, as long as the meat is tightly wrapped.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

xcrider

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 12, 2010, 01:56:05 PM
Hi xcrider;

Welcome to the forum.

Freezing will actually halt the curing process, the time period you are freezing it for is short; so you will be alright. I don't know what you mean by quick thaw, but it would be safer to thaw the meat in the refrigerator, or under cold running water, as long as the meat is tightly wrapped.

Thanks for the reply.  I was hoping the cure would stop and I was planning on putting it in hot water to losen it up enough to stuff and cook/smoke.  The other Cabelas kit I've used in the past was summer sausage from High Mountain telling me to add cure / seasonings and then let it sit for 12-24 hours.  This one's instructions said stuff and cook/smoke and the cure package was marked quick.

NePaSmoKer

Yes you can mix and freeze with no problems. I have had frozen cured meat frozen for a week before stuffing or making jerky.

Habanero Smoker

I would not use hot water to thaw the meat. I would either fully thaw in the refrigerator which may take a couple of days, or under cold running water. Using hot water you may change the texture of the meat that it comes in contact with the hot water.

Sodium nitrite is referred to as a quick cure; and cure #1 has sodium nitrite in it and it begins to cure immediately, and are used to cure meats and sausage that will be cooked. Sodium nitrate contained in cure #2 or potassium nitrate (salt peter) are slower cures. It takes the nitrate time to break down into nitrites, before it can actually begin to cure, and they require longer curing times. Cure #2 is used for dry curing meats and sausage that will not be cooked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)