More summer sausage

Started by dbondy, January 11, 2010, 06:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Quote from: dbondy on January 12, 2010, 05:09:10 AM
Hi Bremen, I added 1.5tb of cracked black pepper, 2tb mustard seed, 1tb garlic powder, 1t red pepper flakes and 7oz of fermento. This was for 15lbs of meat, I hope this helps you out. ;D

tb = Tablespoon ?
t = teaspoon ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Bremen

Quote from: dbondy on January 12, 2010, 05:09:10 AM
Hi Bremen, I added 1.5tb of cracked black pepper, 2tb mustard seed, 1tb garlic powder, 1t red pepper flakes and 7oz of fermento. This was for 15lbs of meat, I hope this helps you out. ;D

Yes, thanks for the info!  I was looking for a place to start with additions on my next batch, I think I'll base it on this and tweak a little bit just for the sake of experimenting.

drano

dbondy,
Great work!  Looks like you've got this sausage thing figured out.
When I do smoked kielbasa, I just stuff it into one long collagen casing, then cut them the correct length w/ a scissors so they hang over the wood rods in the top of the smoker.  After they are smoked, I cut them to length and vacuum pack.  The meat oozes out of the end just a little--no problem--just cut that tip off after the smoke as a snack while you cut them to link sizes!
If I want twisted links w/ collagen, I have the wife help.  I crank the stuffer and pause after each link, then twist at the end of the stuffer tube, then crank out the next link, twist opposite direction, etc.  I don't do this anymore, because I've got the motor on my Cabelas stuffer.  I cut everything after stuffing.  Not as purdy, but my stomach hasn't noticed yet. 

get smokin
drano