PID DO I or Don't I

Started by smokeNcanuck, January 13, 2010, 11:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeNcanuck

OK, well I hate to make everyone keep repeating them self's but......
I have done a quick look through the forum and am trying to decide if getting a PID for my Bradley is worth the money. As you can tell I am new to the OBS world.  I am most likely going to be a weekend smoker, so for the money I am I going to see the benefits of spending the money.  Should I just master what I have before throwing something new in the mix?  I have ordered a maverick(hoping It will be hear for this weekends smoke)so will that serve my needs just as well.  Would love some members feed back as I know most of you are far wiser in the way of the smoke than I am.  And again sorry for bringing up a topic that has probally been discussed to death.

Thankx sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

FLBentRider

I have an OBS and a PID. I didn't get the PID at first.

IMHO

It depends on what you are smoking. (I love that line!)

If you are smoking sausage, then A PID will help keep temp swings from "fatting out" your sausage.

Some Salmon smoking recipes require you to increase the smoking temps in steps "Ramping"

If you are smoking butts, briskets and ribs.... It's nice to have but by no means a requirement.

I turned out some mighty fine "Q" before the PID and no one has told me my "Q" is better since I got it.

But it is nice to have. I use the first step to pre-heat, then the next step does the cooking.

with the loads I do (usually 4 butts at a time) I would just run the OBS on MAX or close to it the whole time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

lumpy

Canuk Eh ;)

I have a BDS and only use the PID when doing fish (salmon) or sausages.
It gives me piece of mind knowing exactly what the temps are. Now with the new PID from Auber, you have a food temp probe.........even better.

Lumpy

pfowl01

I think FLBentRider nailed it! I have a obs, a PID, and the fan mod........love all of it! If I would have to start over I wouldn't do anything different.

classicrockgriller

Roadking

Do you need a PID?  No   Do I need a PID? No. but I have 3 of them it's a toy, it' a convenience, it cuts down time getting your cabinet to the proper temperature. Can you do with out it? Sure you can I did without one for 30 years and used a wood fire box to smoke with and never had a problem.
Your going to have a learning curve without one. Enjoy your smoker I know you will.
So start without one. Go to a Smokeout in your area if possible and you'll probably see one in action.

canadiansmoker

I went for about a year before I purchased a PID. For the most part I was able to just use my BDS by itself without any problems. When I was doing smoked salmon then it became a little bit more of an issue.

Overall I did not like the large temperature swings that are typical of the Bradley (in my case the swings were in the range of 20-30 degrees up or down from my preset temperature). Having the PID allowed for much smaller temperature swings (within 2 degrees), and as such, I found that it was easier to predict the ending smoking time. If the temperature is stable then it makes it easier to determine how long it will take for things like ribs/chicken, etc. (within reason since there is no actual predetermined minutes/pound calculation).

Bear in mind I haven't done anything large yet like a brisket or pulled pork where the cooking times will vary quite a bit anyways.

Overall I really enjoy smoking more using the PID since I know that the temperature is much more stable. I think that FLBentrider gave a good summary.

Roadking

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 13, 2010, 12:00:33 PM

It depends on what you are smoking. (I love that line!)

Yeah,  They just legalized medical smoking here in N. Jersey   ::)

smokeNcanuck

Quotethat depends on what you are smoking. (I love that line!)

I'll smoke anything...... at least once! :D

Thanks for the input, sounds like it is more of a personal choice based on what you are planing to smoke.  I also love "toys" so I'm think'N I'ma gonna get me one some time soon.  If not for the fact that it adds to the whole experience,  than just to show off for my friends.  A BIG thanks to every one!  I never stop being impressed how friendly everyone here is.

hal4uk

Hey "Jesse"...
Just don't inhale...
And stay a step ahead of the Pinkertons.  We got your back  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

smokeNcanuck

Quote from: hal4uk on January 13, 2010, 03:39:28 PM
Hey "Jesse"...
Just don't inhale...
And stay a step ahead of the Pinkertons.  We got your back  ;D

Thanks,Hal!

It's good to know somebody does, Just incase things go south! ;)

classicrockgriller

smokeNcanuck

No decision yet, but looking thru your recent butt posts, I'd say that all signs point to yes.
What's with this auto tune thing I see you were talking about??

classicrockgriller

The Auber is tuned in with the Bradley cause they made it for the Bradley.

But every cooker cooks a little different and Auber made a feature that you can set it to so that the Auber will adjust to your smoker and stay in that 1 to 2 degree swing range.

I had added a second element so my swing range has been 5 to 6 degrees which is not bad but auto tune brought it back to the 1* to 3* range.

Very sweet!

The way the Auber is programed right now if I had to leave the house for some reason, it would continue to cook my butts till IT reached 195 and then

would lower the temp in the cabinet to 150 to "hold" the butts for a set time. (I have mine set for 2 hrs).

If after two hrs is up and I haven't gotten the meat out, it would shut down and turn itself off.

hal4uk

CRG...  That is just toooooooooooooo sweet.
You're gonna have a lot of fun with that.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby