PID DO I or Don't I

Started by smokeNcanuck, January 13, 2010, 11:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeNcanuck

Because the weather is so cold hear right now I have only ran my OBS wide open.  So would the PID be a huge advantage for me right now??  Maybe more in the summer time.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

FLBentRider

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on January 17, 2010, 04:53:47 PM
Because the weather is so cold hear right now I have only ran my OBS wide open.  So would the PID be a huge advantage for me right now??  Maybe more in the summer time.

When I do 4 butts in any weather the PID pretty much runs the OBS wide open.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Toker

My suggestion would be a pid with a 2nd heat element for extreme cold wether cause the pid only, i don't tink would be enough.

GusRobin

I am new to Bradley smoking. I mainly used a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) which I could light the charcoal fire and have it maintain temp for 10-12 hours without me having to do anything. A friend got me hooked on electric smoking so I bought an OBS and a PID. I didn't buy the BDS because everything I read stated that the PID was more accurate and I should probably buy it. I have never used the OBS without the PID so I can only tell one side of the story. I got the PID from the beginning for 2 reasons.

First was that I wanted to do the mod adding the second heating element and it said that for safety reasons you should have a PID if you do the mod. I wanted to do the mod due to the threads I read concerning the pre-heat times and more important the recovery times. Not all people seem to have an issue with this, but with the UDS I was used to fast recovery times. With the mod my pre-heat and recovery times are in the low minute range. So that is the first reason.

The second reason was with or without the mod I didn't want to spend time monitoring and adjusting the temps (told you I was spoiled by the UDS). Since I never cooked without it, I can't judge how much time I would have spent adjusting if I did not have the PID. All I know is that I can set it and forget it whether during the day or overnight. Of course if anyone in the house asks it is an exhausting process requiring many adult beverages to perform successfully.

So I can only give you my experience and the final choice is whatever are your preferences. I am sure you will enjoy the Bradley experience whichever way you go.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smokeNcanuck

Quote from: GusRobin on January 17, 2010, 05:25:17 PM
I am new to Bradley smoking. I mainly used a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) which I could light the charcoal fire and have it maintain temp for 10-12 hours without me having to do anything. A friend got me hooked on electric smoking so I bought an OBS and a PID. I didn't buy the BDS because everything I read stated that the PID was more accurate and I should probably buy it. I have never used the OBS without the PID so I can only tell one side of the story. I got the PID from the beginning for 2 reasons.

First was that I wanted to do the mod adding the second heating element and it said that for safety reasons you should have a PID if you do the mod. I wanted to do the mod due to the threads I read concerning the pre-heat times and more important the recovery times. Not all people seem to have an issue with this, but with the UDS I was used to fast recovery times. With the mod my pre-heat and recovery times are in the low minute range. So that is the first reason.

The second reason was with or without the mod I didn't want to spend time monitoring and adjusting the temps (told you I was spoiled by the UDS). Since I never cooked without it, I can't judge how much time I would have spent adjusting if I did not have the PID. All I know is that I can set it and forget it whether during the day or overnight. Of course if anyone in the house asks it is an exhausting process requiring many adult beverages to perform successfully.

So I can only give you my experience and the final choice is whatever are your preferences. I am sure you will enjoy the Bradley experience whichever way you go.

Thanks for the input i sure do appreciate it.
I was thinking about doing the second heating element mod.  I started reading the how to and thought it might be over my head.
How hard was it?  I consider my self a handy guy and I am fairly mechanically inclined, is it easy to get all the necessary parts for the mod?

Toker

as far as the required parts yard and pool carry most of it.

classicrockgriller

sNc, if this (me) dummy can do it, you can too.

Study Mike's post on the recipe site. He has recommendations for the OBS and he is smart guy!

When i did mine, I got two elements and replace the original and added the new one and I have the orig for a back up if needed.

Plus sticking your head inside the cabinet while working is worth the trouble. ;D

classicrockgriller

ALL that you have to have from Bradley ids 1 more element.

The rest you can get at local appliance or hardware store.

GusRobin

The way you describe yourself, you have more skill than I do. It was easy for me so just about anyone can do it. It was diffiicult to find the material locally. They claimed it was high temp but it only went to about 167F. I bought the wire, female and ring connectors online at alliedkenco; the element at Yard and Pool (online). All told parts came to about $25. I would buy extra connectors and wire. I did screw up in that I connected the ring connector to the wire prior to putting the wire through the enamal insulator. The ring wouldn't fit so I had to cut it off and do it again.
Otherwise, Mike and Hab have given great directions. Also, there is nothing that you are doing to the actual smoke chamber cabinet, so anything you screw up is relatively easy and cheap to replace. Plus if you did get in trouble everyone here jumps in and helps if you ask. If you do it, you can send me a PM and I will give you more lessons learned if you want.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smokeNcanuck

Does that mod void my warranty?? :D :D :D
I don't know if I'v smoked enough to get the full thrill from sticking my head in their.
About how many beers are required to complete this task??
CRG I have seen some of the food you have been turning out and YOU NO DUMMY!
GusRobin  Thanks for the offer!! ;) I'll take ya up an that but I'll wait till I get all the parts togeather

classicrockgriller

I pretty sure it will void your warranty on the cabinet.

So it may be something you want to wait to do before the next winter time.

hal4uk

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on January 17, 2010, 06:26:29 PM
CRG I have seen some of the food you have been turning out and YOU NO DUMMY!

You learn fast  ;D
The Smokin' Monkey is smarter than he looks!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

smokeNcanuck

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 17, 2010, 06:29:50 PM
I pretty sure it will void your warranty on the cabinet.

So it may be something you want to wait to do before the next winter time.

I don't know about that... what could go wrong with the cabinet??
If I put another element in will the just work in parallel controlled by the PID?

classicrockgriller

You can give Brian at Bradley a call or pm or post a question.

He will responde to it.

smokeNcanuck

well I'm at least waiting till Feb. sometime.  Auber all sold out of the dual probes :(
I should have ordered one last week, Oh well smoke on.  I'll just have to smoke in my garage if it gets too cold.
I have a butt to smoke in the near future.  I'll have to come back to the this once I can get my mitts on all the required parts.

Thanks again for everyones advise!

Yo CRG how did those butts turn out with the new PID at the helm.  Did I miss the final results post?