Help needed with timing

Started by Rockpig, January 13, 2010, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockpig

So the 9# brisket is rubbed and back in the fridge.
Three 5-6# pork butts got the same treatment.
I want to make sure everything finishes together,so timing is everything.  
I would like to have it all finished cooking by 9-10 on Saturday. That will give me 2-3 hours to FTC. , before I serve at 1.
I plan on putting the brisket in at 3:00 pm Friday.
At 9# x 2 hours per pound-thats 18 hours or done by 9:00 Saturday.
When should I put in the three butts so they finish the same time as the brisket?
Should it all go in at the same time?
I plan on going 4-5 hours of smoke then into the house oven @ 225 till done.
Instead of the traditional FTC any thoughts about using a warming drawer set to 160?

HawkeyeSmokes

Your plan sounds pretty good to me.

I would put the pork butts in at the same time as the brisket.

Good luck and keep us posted.

HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

I concur, the timing seems about right.

The warming drawer shouldn't be a problem either.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Warming drawer will work just fine.  I would wrap them in foil first.

KyNola

OU812

I think you have it

Brisket and butt in at the same time and the warmer would work great.

I have a roaster oven that we use when its party time or if its just 1 butt we use the crock pot as a warmer.

Rockpig

Might sound stupid, but by putting them in the oven after smoking should I expect the cook time to go faster?
Guess I ask since o would expect the ovens would be better temp controlled.
One last thing...
Bake, roast, convection bake or convection roast for the oven setting?

HawkeyeSmokes

I don't have a convection oven but, with my oven I set it at 220.

The time should be about the same unless the weather is cold where your at. Then the oven might be a bit faster than the Bradley but the times you started with should still be close.

HawkeyeSmokes

KyNola

Set your oven temp to 225 as you stated earlier and you will be good to go.  I would not expect an accelerated finishing time.  Granted, I don't have an advanced oven like you but 225 is 225.  BTW, wish I had an oven like yours. ;)

KyNola

classicrockgriller

I have a convection oven and that will reduce your cooking time by 30% if you set it on convection, but that goes againt the rule of low and slow.

I like HES and Ky Nola would use the regular oven phase.

Quarlow

YOu should put your temp probe in the oven one time just for haha's and see how much those temps swing. I checked the oven here and it's temp went up and down the wh.res knickers. It was somewheres it the neighbourhood of 40 below to 20 degrees above the set temp. :o
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Rockpig on January 14, 2010, 06:54:54 PM
Bake, roast, convection bake or convection roast for the oven setting?

Sounds like my Jenn-Air, I use the probe mode on roast.

I tried it on convection roast once, The Mrs. said her eyes were burning. I think it circulates more of the smoke into the kitchen on convection.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rockpig

Yes,the setup is great, Wolf double wall ovens, Wolf warming drawer, and a 48" range with 6 burners and a built in grill. Will get some pics up later.

All the meat has been rubbed for 36 hours and is out of the fridge resting till 2 or 3 then into the smoker.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Rockpig on January 15, 2010, 07:10:37 AM
Yes,the setup is great, Wolf double wall ovens, Wolf warming drawer, and a 48" range with 6 burners and a built in grill. Will get some pics up later.

Holy cr@p!  Party at Rock's house!!

Rockpig

OK, I've got the meat in the smoker but having a problem with my ET-7, see my other post here...
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13807.0

Here's some pics of the meat...

Here is the kitchen as promised...look under the "Kitchen" folder.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockpig4x4/

Can't wait till tomorrow to chow down!!  

Quarlow

Wow rock that is a dream kitchen. I really like they way you used 2 colors in the cabinets. Is that a warming drawer in the Island? Oh something isn't right with your link. You have made the whole post into a link. I had to highlight the flickr link itself and then insert it in the address box myself.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.