PID showing different Temp than BDS

Started by Overholtm, January 09, 2010, 05:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Overholtm on January 09, 2010, 09:16:21 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 09, 2010, 08:02:10 PM
Overholtm, welcome to the forum.

How long you had your BDS?

Thanks, been reading for for a year or so.  Had the BDS for about 1 1/2 years.

OK now I understand why a "new" member would need to clean his thermo probe. You are a seasoned smoker. ;D

Hope you come back and share some of you smokes with US. And yes, We like pictures.

Overholtm

Well, here's the test results:

With the cabinet empty, the PID would show at least 25 degrees higher that the BDS.

With a turkey in (sitting between the two sensors) the BDS would read 50 degrees higher than the PID!

Preheated to 250, Vent wide open, temp of course dropped, set the PID to 225.  Only ever got to 205, while the BDS was showing 255, and the IT is at 162 after 6 1/2 hours for a 12 lb bird.

Compared to the same smoke 2 weeks ago, this was 3 hours shorter, in fact I was not able to get the IT up in time for dinner so finished it in the oven.  That time without the PID the highest the BDS showed the temp was 205.  Now with the PID I am showing another 50 degrees.

BTW I did clean the sensor and it made no difference.

Does this sound normal, is the PID putting out that much more power to the heating element?  Is the Bradley thermometer that far off?

Dazed and confused, but the turkey looks good!

pensrock

By placing the PID thermocouple so high in the chamber, I do think it will get hotter lower in the tower. If the PID t/c and the BDS temp probe were placed next to each other then the temp should read closer to each other.

Roadking

Here's a link for the manual if anyone needs it:  WS-1200CPH Manual

Waltz

Just to back up what everyone else has pretty much said.  I noticed the approx. 25deg difference between the Auber and the BDS, with the BDS always being lower.  I checked the Auber by taping my digital thermometer probe to the Auber probe and placing both at the second top shelf location in my empty 6-rack.  The Auber and the digital thermometer agreed to within 1 or two degrees, and tracked each other like that even when the temperature was adjusted so I guess the Bradley indication should be regarded as a rough estimate.  It also makes it more unlikely that you will 'fat-out' your sausages by over heating them if you are only using the BDS indication :)

Waltz.