"CT" eats aluminum foil?

Started by MPTubbs, January 15, 2010, 10:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPTubbs

Well I got my 26#'s of brisket ready last night and slathered it down with CT.

Today at lunch time I came home and looked at my briskets.

I have them in 2 aluminum pans with heavy duty foil over the top resting in the garage.

There are holes in the foil.......I thought mice got into them but you can see that the foil dissolved and is now laying on the brisket only where the foil is touching the meat. :o

I used Pachanga's rub then CT.  Last brisket I did was the same way with Pachanga's rub but with mustard and had no problems then.

What ya all think?

If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

FLBentRider

I think the vinegar(acidic) in the CT is what did the eating.

I always use plastic wrap before the foil, particularly on raw meat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Ditto on the vinegar acid causing the damage.

KyNola

squirtthecat

Ditto.   Put in tupperware (or at least double-wrap in plastic) before you get foil anywhere near vinegar.

Quarlow

Ok that explains what happened to my tinfoil pans. Never even thought about that.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

I ditto the ditto's

When letting things rest before you cook you should use plastic or glass dish's and wrap with plastic wrap, over time the salt will eat the foil too.

MPTubbs

Glad I have you guys as friends.

Learn something new everyday around here! ;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Habanero Smoker

From my experience it a combination of things, but I believe it is mainly the phenol acids that are produced from buring wood which are carried by the smoke and deposited on the food. also the salt in the rub are the main factors for me. I don't use CT or vinegar based sauces on my brisket, and if I store my brisket in foil pans for a short period of time I will see a lot of discoloration of the pans. If I wrap them in foil, the foil will begin pitting within 12 hours. For storage I always wrap smoked foods in plastic wrap first, then foil. Or as suggested use plastic or glass containers.

The aluminum in the food is not harmful, but too much will add a bitter taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Waltz

I am not sure of the validity of all the points made in this article but I tend to avoid aluminium for cooking when I can.
http://www.hints-n-tips.com/aluminum.htm
Waltz.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Waltz on January 15, 2010, 03:04:35 PM
I am not sure of the validity of all the points made in this article but I tend to avoid aluminium for cooking when I can.
http://www.hints-n-tips.com/aluminum.htm
Waltz.

I've seen many articles such as this and just as many that take the opposite position. There have been several discussions on this forum about the possible harmful effects of aluminum. It all winds up what position you want to take. If you have concerns, it is always best to lean towards caution.

Aluminum is the most widely available element on earth. It is in almost every thing we eat, that includes process foods to organic food, and that is not necessarily due to contamination. Anything in large amounts can be harmful, but from what I have read, I lean towards the side that the small amount you can digest from aluminum foil; in the situation that began this forum is safe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Paddlinpaul

Any reaction with the fillings in your teeth? Eww, I hate that feeling. Was told that the mouth is converted to a battery hen foil hits the fillings.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!