ET-7 Readings

Started by Rockpig, January 15, 2010, 12:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockpig

Well, I just got my ET-7's just in time for my big smoke today.  I'm using the Jim Beam edition of the digital smoker, so essentially a 4 rack digi.
Have two questions...
1. I have in the smoker right now a 9# brisket (top rack) and 3 5# pork butts (2 under the brisket and one below them, the bottom rack is empty).
     Right now I'm only using the ET-7 to monitor cabinet temperature, I'll use both ET-7's when I transfer all the meat into the house oven.
     The single ET-7 probe is stuck through a small piece of potato with about 3" of the pointed end sticking out.  It is on the rack with the single pork butt, second rack from the bottom.  It is next to the butt (about an inch away) with the point at the front right side of the rack near the cabinet wall.
I am getting a 41* difference from the ET-7 compared to the built in temp on my digi.  The ET-7 is reading 41* lower.
Why?
Do I have a bad unit?
Is it too close to the meat?
Is the potato affecting it?

2.  I can't get the remote part of the ET-7 to stay connected to the transmitter.  Everytime I program it and go back in the house I lose the signal.   I am only 15 feet from the smoker seperated by an exterior wall.  I am using the batteries that came with the unit if that helps.
Any suggestions on getting a better range?
Will the modification help?
Can you do the mod on the ET-7?

HawkeyeSmokes

You will get different reading from the smoker and the Maverick. The smoker tends to be hotter at the back wall where it's sensor is located.

1.The meat can affect the readings and should get closer as your smoking continues.
The potato could be affecting it to if it's to close to the sensor in the probe.

2. The modification can be done to the ET7. I think it was Klondikesmoker that had a post when he did his. Sounded like it improved reception for him.

I would go by the temp showing on the Maverick IMHO.
HawkeyeSmokes

Rockpig

Thanks, where is the sensor on the probe?
This is how I have it...

squirtthecat

You are reading the temp at the very front by the door.  I can see there being 40* difference between that point and where the digi sensor is on the back.   Maybe turn it around and try to get the temp 1/2 way back in the tray. (and don't let it touch the wall)

Put the remote up hight on a window sill or something. (jack it up on a can of soup if need be)  If the batteries are weak/marginal, they will cut out.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 15, 2010, 01:00:46 PM

You are reading the temp at the very front by the door.  I can see there being 40* difference between that point and where the digi sensor is on the back.   Maybe turn it around and try to get the temp 1/2 way back in the tray. (and don't let it touch the wall)

Put the remote up hight on a window sill or something. (jack it up on a can of soup if need be)  If the batteries are weak/marginal, they will cut out.

Like Squirt said, try turning it around to get it closer to center. I just checked the probe on my ET73 and it appears to read from the 1st inch or 2 of the probe.

Weak batteries will make a difference, if the transmitter is in a cold area, even more so.
HawkeyeSmokes

Rockpig

Thanks, I think I'll just throw in the bottom rack and put it on the center and see if it changes.

HawkeyeSmokes

I would leave it on the rack you have it on now. The temp will read higher at the bottom rack and you want to monitor the temp the meat is located on.
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

If you are smoking/cooking right now I would leave it where it is so you dont loose all the heat, when the cook gets closer to the end I bet the readings will be allot closer.